Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for Co. Fermanagh from 1940 until 1956. James Wallace Charlton, who, according to the Irish censis of 1911, was born circa 1890, attended Portora Royal School, Enniskillen. He fought in France from 1916 as a Captain in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and was awarded the Military Cross(1) and the Croix de Guerre. After the war he attended Queen's University, Belfast, graduating with a B.Sc. degree in 1922. In December 1925 he was appointed an assistant county surveyor for Co. Fermanagh under JAMES PARSONS BURKITT  JAMES PARSONS BURKITT . In 1940, after a period as deputy county surveyor, he was appointed county surveyor, holding the post until his retirement in 1956. He was awarded the OBE in 1950.(3)  He died suddenly at hom on 16 January 1957.


All information in this entry not otherwise referenced is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 127, and from the obituary in the Irish Times, 17 Jan 1957 (reference also supplied by Brendan O'Donoghue)
1) NA/PRO (Kew) WO 372/4 800765/33667.
(2) IB 82, 2 Mar 1940, 143.
(3) Thoms Directory Ireland (1952), 696.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for CHARLTON, JAMES WALLACE (CAPT.)

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1953-4
Nature: Overhaul of keep
Refs: UAHS Enniskillen list, 35