CRAWFORD, ANDREW H.
- Born: 1811c Died: 1891
County surveyor for the North Riding of Co. Tipperary, 1845-1891. Andrew Crawford, third son of Arthur Crawford, a Belfast merchant, and his wife Catherine Campbell Lundy(1) was born circa 1811. He was appointed county surveyor for the North Riding of Co. Tipperary on 16 September 1845, following the transfer of HORACE UNIACKE TOWNSEND to Co. Laois. He was based at Nenagh, where he also had a private practice. His salary was increased to £500 per annum in 1863.(2) He held the post until his death at the age of 80 on 1 August 1891, when he was succeeded by JOHN OUSLEY BONSALL MOYNAN . He was buried in Ballinaclough graveyard, as was his widow, Anne ('Nannie'), daughter of the Rev. Francis Synge of Terryglass, who died in 1897 at the age of seventy-eight.(3) He had two daughters and a son.
All unreferenced information in this entry is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 143-4.
(1) www.turtlebunbury.com (B.O'D).
(2) Limerick Reportor and Tipperary Vindicator, 17 Mar 1863 (B. O'D.).
(3) Ormond Historical Society: Ballinaclough Gravestone Inscriptions (Nenagh, 1988), 4 (B. O'D.).
1 work entries listed in chronological order for CRAWFORD, ANDREW H.
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NEWPORT, BRIDEWELL|
|Nature:||£800 granted at Nenagh Spring Assizes for new bridewell to replace existing dungeon-like one. (To be designed by AHC?)|
|Refs:||Tipperary Free Press, 20 Mar 1852 (B.O'D.))|