- Born: 1860 Died: 1929c?
Surveyor and architect with Guinness's Brewery, Dublin, from 1892 until 1923 or later. Richard Coulson, only son of Richard Coulson, a farmer in East Halton, Lincolnshire, was born in East Halton in 1860. After attending the Wesleyan Methodist School, Goxhill, and Westfield Academy, Barton-on-Humber, he was articled to William Marshall of Hull from 1876 until 1881, remaining as an assistant in Marshall's office until 1890. After two years as an assistant in the architects' deaprtment of Hull Corporation, in 1892 he joined the staff of Arthur Guinness & Co. in Dublin as surveyor to the licensing committee. In December 1893 he was one of ten candidates who presented themselves for the post of Dublin city engineer. The post was given to CHARLES JAMES MCCARTHY ,(1) while Coulson remained with Guinness's for the rest of his career. From 1897 he also held the position of head of the building trades department at the Dublin Municipal Technical Schools. His pupils and assistants included MARTIN JOSEPH BURKE.
The directories suggest that Coulson was still living in 1928 but had died by 1930. He married at least twice. By 1891 he had a wife, Eliza, from Chester, an eight-year-old daughter and a two-year-old son. According to the 1911 census he married again in 1906 and had at least four more children. This wife, Marian, who was born on the Isle of Man, survived him. Coulson is one of the rare census respondents who refused to declare himself (or any of his family members) to be an adherent of any religious denomination.
AAI: reads paper on principles and design of reinforced concrete, 29 February 1913.(2)
RIBA: elected licentiate, 7 November 1910,(3) having been proposed by JOHN HOWARD PENTLAND , A.K. Brown and W.A. Gelder.
Surveyors' Institution: fellow.
Addresses: Work: St James's Gate, Dublin, 1892->=1923.(4) Home:(5) 26 Waltham Terrace, Blackrock, 1896-1900;(6) 4 Waltham Terrace, Blackrock, <=1910->=1915; The Grove, Stillorgan Park, Stillorgan, 1918-1928.(7)
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the English census returns for 1861, 1871,1881 and 1891 and from the entry on Coulson in Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), I, 445.
(1) Irish Times, 5 Dec 1893; IB 35, 15 Dec 1893, 287.
(2) Published in IB 55, 15,29 Mar 1913, 165,190.
(3) RIBAJ 18 (1910-1911), 30.
(3) See note 1, above, and Who's Who in Architecture (1923), 63.
(5) From Thom's and Post Office Directories and Albert C. Freeman, ed., The Architect's & Surveyor's Directory & Referendum (1910), 185.
(6) Appears as 'Richard Coulson, Esq.', possibly not the same person.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for COULSON, RICHARD
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, WICKLOW, ABBEY STREET (& MARLTON ROAD), GRAND HOTEL|
|Nature:||New hotel for John Wynne. Designed by 'Mr Coulson, Dundrum', probably Richard Coulson (Dundrum a misprint for Dublin?). Contractor: Mr Barry of Bray.|
|Refs:||Wicklow Newsletter, 15 Jun,14 Sep 1895.|
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, CARRICKMACROSS, HIGH SCHOOL|
|Nature:||'The former High School, now the Scouts' hall, was built in 1909 for the Patrician Brothers. Plain institutional Gothic by Robert Coulson and Joseph Latton.'(Mulligan) Is Richard Coulson intended here? (A Robert Coulson, farmer and carpenter, of Latton, co. Monaghan, is recorded in the 1911 census.)
Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 218-9.
|Coulson, Richard||'Reinforced Concrete: principles and designs'||1913||IB 55, 14,29 Mar 1913, 165,190. (Paper read to IAA, 29 Feb 1913.)|