Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Business man and amateur architect. John Corry, who was born in 1831, was the second son of Robert Corry, quarryowner, of Turnagardy, Newtownards, Co. Down, and later a building contractor in Belfast. He was a younger brother of JAMES PORTER WHITE CORRY JAMES PORTER WHITE CORRY . Like James Corry, he entered the family contracting and shipowning business and was given charge of the London branch of the shipping company, the Star Line. He died in London on 17 February 1908. By his wife Margaret, née Galloway, he was the father of eleven children, three of whom died in infancy.

The Irish Architectural Archive holds Corry's elevation for Elmwood Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church, Belfast, which was originally in the possession of the Elmwood congregation (Acc. 2003/188).

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry was supplied by Helen Andrews, DIB.


7 work entries listed in chronological order for CORRY, JOHN


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LEITRIM, BELHAVEL, LINEN FACTORY
Date: 1853
Nature: New factory 'consisting of one large apartment' 107 x 64 ft. heas been erected by a Scotch company who also intend building a scutch mill near site.
Refs: B 11, 22 Oct 1853, 654

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, UNIVERSITY ROAD, ELMWOOD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1859-1862
Nature: New Lombardo-Venetian church. FS laid, 31 May 1861. Opened, Jan 1862.
Refs: Signed and dated drawing in archives of the Elmwood Congregation, see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 19 (no. 76); James Dewar, History of Elmwood Church, 1859-1899, (1900);  Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 21 (no. 38)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ELMWOOD AVENUE, ALL SOULS NON-SUBSCRIBING PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1862;1866;1872
Nature: Church built 1862; minister's room and school rooms added at rear, 1866; tower added 'apparently as part of the original design', 1872; railings, gates, piers added 1873.
Refs: Signed and dated drawing in IAA, Acc. 2003/188, see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 19 (no. 76); B 19, 2 Feb 1861, 81; DB 8, 1 Oct 1866, 243; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 43, citing J. Dewar, History of Elmwood Church (1900).; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 21, no. 38 (illus.).A.J. Rowan & C.E.B. Brett, Queen's University (UAHS, revised edition 1975), 27,29,45(illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, DUNRAVEN HOUSE
Date: 1870
Nature: Italianate mansion with tower, designed and built by JC for his brother Sir James Porter Corry, timber importer and ship owner. (Demolished)
Refs: Information from J.K. Dean, feb 2018, citing John Caughey, Seize Then the Hour: A History of James P. Corry & Co. Ltd. and of the Corry Family, 1123[sic.] -1974 (Belfast: James P. Corry & Co., 1974)..            


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, UNIVERSITY ROAD, ELMWOOD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, MANSE
Date: 1872
Nature: To S. of church.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 21 (no. 38)

Building: CO. DOWN, MOVILLA, GRAVEYARD, CORRY MAUSOLEUM
Date: ?
Nature: Family mausoleum in form of a Doric temple.
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 43, citing J. Dewar, History of Elmwood Church (1900).; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of North County Down (UAHS, 2002), 278(illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, DUNMURRY, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: ?
Nature: New church.
Refs: Brett, 43, citing J. Dewar, History of Elmwood Church (1900);  Paul Harron, Architects of Ulster: Young & Mackenzie, a transformational provincial practice 1850-1960 (Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 2016), 293.