Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of 5 Summerhill, Dublin, active from circa 1800 until 1841 or later. In the directories John Clinch is initally described as 'carpenter and timber merchant' but from 1836 onwards as 'carpenter and builder'. According to his fellow tradesmen, writing in 1834,(1) his business had been 'very extensive in 1800' and he had made money before he failed.   He subsequently resumed business  but was 'struggling'.  He is still in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1841, but by 1844 only a Mrs Clinch appears at the Summerhill address. John Clinch was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819). 


(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31.