CLANCY, WILLIAM *
- Born: - Died: -
Builder, of Dublin, active in in the 1830s and 1840s. In 1843 Clancy won the contract for the new epiphyte house at the Glasnevin Botanic Gardens, designed by DUNCAN C. FERGUSON . The job, which according to the contract was to have been finished within four months, took a whole year to complete and almost bankrupted Clancy in the process.(1)
Addresses:(2) 31 Stafford Street 1834-1836; 31 Stafford Street and Green Lanes, Clontarf, 1839-1844; 117 St Stephen's Green, 1844; 117 St Stephen's Green and 16 Anglesea Street (office), 1847.
(1) E. Charles Nelson & Eileen M. McCracken, The Brightest Jewel: a history of the National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin, (1987), 107.
(2) From Wilson's, Post Office and Pettigrew and Oulton's directories.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for CLANCY, WILLIAM *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN ROAD, BOTANIC GARDENS|
|Nature:||WC contractor for epiphyte house.|
|Refs:||Royal Dublin Society council proceedings 80/66, 82/2,10 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Jones, citing ?Berry (or ?White) History of the Royal Dublin Society, 196,279; M. Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (1952), 298; E. Charles Nelson & Eileen M. McCracken, The Brightest Jewel: a history of the National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin (1987), 107; E.J. Diestelkamp, 'The curvilinear range at the National Botanic Gardens', Mooraea 9 (Dec 1990), 12|