Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. CORK, CORK, BISHOP STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST FINN BARRE (CI, OLD)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, BISHOP STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST FINN BARRE (CI, OLD)
Date: 1735-38
Nature: New church replacing decayed mediaeval structure but incorporating lower storey of tower and W doorway. No transepts.Tower and octangular spire at W end. Interior 97 x 57ft. Panelled ceiling resting on Ionic scagliola pillars, N & S galleries on Doric columns. Choir lighted by Venetian window. Principally funded by 5-year tax on coal, levied by Cork Corporation. Construction of new building authorised by Chapter, 9 Apr 1735. Building completed early 1738. (Demolished 1865.)
Refs: J.N. Brewer, The Beauties of Ireland (1825), ?;  Francis H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork Remembrancer (Cork, 1837), 128;  APSD, II, C, 147; B 47, ? Jul 1884, 5; JCHAS (1911), 179;  Peter Galloway, The Cathedrals of Ireland (Belfast: Institute of Irish Studies, 1992), 59;  Roger Herlihy, A Walk through the South Parish (Cork: Red Abbey Publications, 2010), 6-7(illus.).

Name: LAFRANCHINI, PAOLO *
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, BISHOP STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST FINN BARRE (CI, OLD)
Date: 1745ca
Nature: Wall drops and decorative work over Venetian window by Paolo & Filippo Lafranchini for Bishop Jemmett Browne, 'undoubtedly executed by the Lafranchini troupe when they were working for Bishop Jemmett at Riverstown'.
Refs: Joseph McDonnell, Irish Eighteenth-Century Stuccowork and its European sources (National Gallery of Ireland, 1991), 22, Pls. 89-90