Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)

Name: SEMPLE, JOHN [3]
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1827
Nature: New transeptless church with 'vaulted roof' like Black Church and Trinity Church, Rathmines.  Built 1827 and licensed for worship 1 Apr 1830. Spire taken down afterdamage in storm of Jan 1839. Not rebuilt by 1859. Old church demolished shortly after opening of new church; ‘of the monuments in the interior, not one was rescued from destruction!’ (Christian Examiner)
Refs: Critical notice with illustration, not mentioning architect's name, in Dublin Penny Journal (1832), 212-3; Christian Examiner, New series, no. 6, Jun 1859, 129;   Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 22, 29 May 1880, 428;  M. Craig, 'John Semple and his churches', Irish Arts Review Year Book 1989-1990, 146,148(illus.); Clergy of Dublin and Glendalough (2001), 92;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 291. 

Name: WELLAND, JOSEPH
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1859-1860
Nature: Enlargement by addition of transepts, chancel & robing room. Builder: George Farrell. Cost: £3000. Church reopened, 28 Oct 1860.  Fittings by Digges of Lincoln Place.
Refs: Undated drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 13; DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 103; B 17, 20 Aug 1859, 556; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 2, no. 4 (15 Oct 1859), 75; no. 17, 15 Nov 1860, 463; 22, no. 22, 29 May 1880, 428;   B.H.Blacker, History of the parishes of Booterstown & Donnybrook (1861), ?.

Name: O'CONNOR, MICHAEL *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1869
Nature: Triple-light E window (Tranfiguration, Annunciation, Basptism of Christ).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2948/ (last visited, Jul 2016). (Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 18, no. 208, 23 Aug 1876, 252, wrongly states that this window is by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.)

Name: SHARP, ALFRED PETER *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1890
Nature: New pulpit in memory of Arthur Gore Ryder, DD.
Refs: Irish Times, 8 Jan 1890.

Name: FULLER, JAMES FRANKLIN
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1906-07
Nature: New organ chamber and porch. Builder: Crampton
Refs: IB 48, 15 Dec 1906, 1008;  Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 25.

Name: SIBTHORPE, HENRY & SON *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: ?
Nature: Decorative scheme for E end.
Refs: Painting by C. O'Sullivan in IAA, Sibthorpe Collection Acc. 78/22.A18, also photograph in IAA Reading Room Box Files (017/005 Y1)