Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. SLIGO, TUBBERCURRY, CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (CI)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. SLIGO, TUBBERCURRY, CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (CI)
Date: 1830
Nature: New chapel of ease. 'The chapel is a neat building with an octagonal tower, erected in 1830 by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits:  it is built of limestone (procured in a local quarry in the parish) in th Gothic style, and stands on a commanding eminence.' (Lewis)
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 648;  exterior illus. in Clergy of Tuam, Killala and Achonry (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2008), 252, and in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 273.