Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. WESTMEATH, RATHASPICK, CHURCH (CI)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. WESTMEATH, RATHASPICK, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1814;1821
Nature: 'The church is a neat structure, with a square tower, built in 1814 by aid of a gift of £100, and enlarged by a loan of £200 from the same Board [of First Fruits].' (Lewis)   According to Clergy of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh church cost £738 9s 2¾d.  According to Costegalde and Walker additions consisted of single-storey vestibules on either side of tower.
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 488;  exterior of church illus. in Clergy of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2008), 298(illus.),299;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 252(illus.).
 

Name: CARROLL, THOMAS HENRY *
Building: CO. WESTMEATH, RATHASPICK, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1865
Nature: Contractor for alterations to designs by James Rawson Carroll, for Dowager Lady Fetherston.
Refs: Signed, undated drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 1; IAA, PKS A03 (Aug, Nov 1865, p.110v);  PKS B03/23