Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DOWN, RATHFRILAND, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, DRUMGATH PARISH)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, RATHFRILAND, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, DRUMGATH PARISH)
Date: 1818
Nature: Rebuilding of church of 1733.
Refs: Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 187(illus.);  exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 198.


Name: WATSON, WILLIAM JAMES
Building: CO. DOWN, RATHFRILAND, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, DRUMGATH PARISH)
Date: 1892
Nature: Church reopened 6 May 1892 after remodelling of interior. New chancel added with triplet window. New flooring, re-seating, new pulpit, reading desk, lectern. Builders: Alexander Wheelan & John Thompson.
Refs: IB 34, 15 May 1892, 114;   Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), Part 1, 187(illus.);  exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 198.

Name: WELLAND & GILLESPIE
Building: CO. DOWN, RATHFRILAND, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, DRUMGATH PARISH)
Date: ?
Nature: Proposed addition of S transept, and N vestry. (Not executed?)
Refs: Signed undated drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 12, but see  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 187(illus.).