Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DOWN, BALLYNACRAIG (DOWNPATRICK), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, INCH PARISH)

Name: DARLEY, HUGH *
Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYNACRAIG (DOWNPATRICK), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, INCH PARISH)
Date: 1742
Nature: Payment of of £11 10s. 5½d made HD by Robert Maxwell, 14 Apr 1742. As nothing else in accounts suggests that he was involved in work to the house at Finnebrogue, payment was possibly for new C of I church (Inch parish) dated 1742 by Lewis..
Refs: Accounts of Robert Maxwell of Finnebrogue, PRONI D/1556/16/14/10 (information from William Roulston)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYNACRAIG (DOWNPATRICK), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, INCH PARISH)
Date: 1742;1784;1826
Nature: 'The church, erected in 1742, and enlarged and repaired by a loan from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1831, is a handsome structure, with a tower and spire , added in 1784, and a transverse aisle added in 1826' (Lewis;  but according to Rankin, Rev. F.W. Mant dated tower, spire and transepts to 1835.)
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), 14;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 128(illus.). 

Name: LYNN, JOHN [1]
Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYNACRAIG (DOWNPATRICK), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, INCH PARISH)
Date: 1835
Nature: JL contractor for new ceiling and insertion of timber mullions in north windows and probably also for addition of tower and spire in same year.
Refs: Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical  Foundation, 1996), 128(illus.); Gordon Wheeler, 'John Lynn - Architect/Contractor/Engineer', Lecale Miscellany (1997), 41(illus.),42

Name: MAYER & CO. *#
Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYNACRAIG (DOWNPATRICK), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, INCH PARISH)
Date: 1888
Nature: New E window, presented by Robert Perceval-Maxwell in memory of his wife. (Transept windows installed , 1907, in memory of Robert Perceval-Maxwell.)
Refs: Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 128.

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYNACRAIG (DOWNPATRICK), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, INCH PARISH)
Date: 1889
Nature: Alts. & imps., including fixing of stained glass window by Meyer of Munich in chancel, tiling of chancel floor, brass chancel rail, lectern and altar desk, addition of vestry.
Refs: IB 31, 1 Jan 1889, 13.

Name: BLACKWOOD & JURY
Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYNACRAIG (DOWNPATRICK), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, INCH PARISH)
Date: 1925
Nature: Renovation, including re-roofing and enlargement of chancel.
Refs: IB 67, 21 Mar 1925, 230; Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), Part 1, 129.