Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DOWN, KILLYLEAGH, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, KILLYLEAGH, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)
Date: 1812
Nature: New church on site of 17th-century predecessor, built by Lord Dufferin and Ava with loan of £2000 fro Board of First Fruits;  tower and spire added, 1824.
Refs: Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 136(illus.)


Name: MAYER & CO. *#
Building: CO. DOWN, KILLYLEAGH, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: E window in new apsidal chancel.
Refs: Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 136.

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, KILLYLEAGH, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: Church reopened after complete renovation, 28 Oct 1877.  Roof raised by 10 ft;  new arched ceiling cased with pitch pine.  Large window opened to bead a memorial to late John Martin. 3 arches introduced. New hot water system installed.  Organ moved to new chamber. Cost: £1,100.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 225, 1 Dec 1877, 379.

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, KILLYLEAGH, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)
Date: 1959
Nature:  Church undergoing considerable improvements, including repewing.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette1, no. 34 (Feb 1859), 669.