Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, CHURCH OF ST MALACHI (CI)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, CHURCH OF ST MALACHI (CI)
Date: 1760-1775
Nature: Church of 1662 remodelled and enlarged by Wills Hill, 1st Earl of Hillsborough to designs of an English architect, possibly Sanderson Miller.  Reopened 22 Aug 1773,
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Historic Buildings…in…Mid Down (UAHS, 1974), 8(illus.),9;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 121(illus.); exterior also illus in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 193.

Name: REYNOLDS, JOSHUA (SIR) *#
Building: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, CHURCH OF ST MALACHI (CI)
Date: 1772
Nature: Design for stained glass in E window;  probably carried out by Francis Egington, Birmingham.
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of North County Down (UAHS, 2002), 40 (who cites H.W. Clokey, Monuments and Buildings Record of Northern Ireland, for attribution To Francis Egington).


Name: NOLLEKENS, JOSEPH *#
Building: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, CHURCH OF ST MALACHI (CI)
Date: 1774
Nature: Monument to Henry Leslie, DD, and Peter Leslie, DD.  For Henry Leslie (son of Peter). (Bust of Earl of Hiillsborough removed to Hillsborough Castle.)
Refs: Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 73, Pl. 43.

Name: MCBLAIN, DAVID
Building: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, CHURCH OF ST MALACHI (CI)
Date: 1775a
Nature: Spire designed and built by DB with James McBlain.
Refs: P. Rankin, Irish Building Ventures of the Earl Bishop of Derry (UAHS, 1972), 10;  C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of North County Down (UAHS, 2002), 39(illus.),40.

Name: MCBLAIN, JAMES
Building: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, CHURCH OF ST MALACHI (CI)
Date: 1775a
Nature: Spire designed and built by JB with David McBlain.
Refs: P. Rankin, Irish Building Ventures of the Earl Bishop of Derry (UAHS, 1972), 10 ;  C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of North County Down (UAHS, 2002), 39(illus.),40.

Name: DREW, THOMAS (SIR)
Building: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, CHURCH OF ST MALACHI (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: Renovation, including new chancel floor. Church reopened 19 Jun 1898.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Jul 1898, 100; Clergy of Down & Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), Pt. 1, 121

Name: HENRY, MULLINS & MCMAHON *
Building: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, CHURCH OF ST MALACHI (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: ?Work at, by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Unfinished elevation in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland, but as the church and spire were built in 1760-1775, it is not clear what H,M & McM could have had to do with it.