Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ARMAGH, LOUGHGILLY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LOUGHGILLY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1811?;1828
Nature: 'The church is aa spacious and handsome edifice with a tower, originally built at an expense of £1384.12s.3¾d., a loan from the late Board of First Fruits, and rebuilt in 1828 by aid of a gift of $830.15s. from the same Board.' (Lewis).  According to Costegalde & Walker the church was first built in 1811.
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 314;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 128(illus.).
 

Name: WELLAND & GILLESPIE
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LOUGHGILLY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1863
Nature: Addition of transepts to church of 1811. Contractor: Arthur Henry. Church reopened and consecrated, 29 Dec 1863.
Refs: Signed drawing(s), also signed by Arthur Henry, Apr 1863, in RCB Library, portfolio 2B;  Armagh Guardian, 18 Dec 1863;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 5, no. 55 (18 Jan 1864), 22;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 485; illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 129.



Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LOUGHGILLY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1924
Nature: Church re-opened after extensive repairs and alterations.
Refs: IB 66, 29 Nov 1924, 1018