Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)

Name: ROUBILIAC, LOUIS FRANÇOIS *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1752
Nature: Statue of Sir Thomas Molyneux (1661-1733) for Sir Capel Molyneux. Arrived Dublin, 1752. Placed in wood at Castle Dillon, Co. Armagh, then moved for storage into basement of old mansion. When this was rebuilt in 1844-45 statue was moved to cathedral.
Refs: Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 9-13 Jun 1752; Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (1975), 75, Fig. 44;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 104, Pl. 64.
 

Name: VIERPYL, SIMON *
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1758p
Nature: Neo-classical monument to Rev. Henry Jenney. (Part(?) inscription and signature on discarded fragment in crypt.)
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 106.

Name: COOLEY, THOMAS
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1782-3
Nature: 2-stage tower over crossing begun but taken down; new tower erected by Francis Johnston after TC's death.
Refs: Drawing in IAA, Murray Collection, no. 75, see Murray Collection Catalogue, 60-61; DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 114; James Stuart, Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh (2nd edition, 1900), 396-7;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 97-98,99.

Name: JOHNSTON, FRANCIS
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1784
Nature: Supervised erection of Cooley's tower which became unstable, and responsible for replacement. Also work on interior. For Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh.
Refs: Design for ceilings, s. & d. June 1784, and for weathervane on top of spire, s. & d. July 1784, in IAA, Murray Collection, nos. 76,76a (see Murray Collection catalogue, pp. 60-61); 'A letter from Francis Johnston', BIGS 6 (no. 1), Jan-Mar 1963, 1;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 99-100.

Name: JOHNSTON, FRANCIS
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1784
Nature: Supervised erection of Cooley's tower which became unstable, and responsible for replacement. Also work on interior. For Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh.
Refs: Design for ceilings, s. & d. June 1784, and for weathervane on top of spire, s. & d. July 1784, in IAA, Murray Collection, nos. 76,76a (see Murray Collection catalogue, pp. 60-61); APSD, J, 18; 'A letter from Francis Johnston', BIGS 6 (no. 1), Jan-Mar 1963, 1

Name: BACON, JOHN [2]*#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1802
Nature: Monument to Archbishop Richard Robinson in form of bust on plinth. Signed 'Bacon Sculptor London 1802'. Bust is often attributed to Nollekens;  Mulligan suggests that the bust may be by Nollekens and only the setting by Bacon.
Refs: Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 35-36;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 105.

Name: HOPPER, THOMAS #
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1808p
Nature: Suggestions for same.
Refs: RIA [Haliday?]Pamphlet 1630/1 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Name: SMYTH, JOHN [4]*
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1818
Nature: Monument to Rev. Thomas Carpendale (d.1817).
Refs: James Stuart, Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh (Newry, 1819), ?; W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 392; Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 81;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 105.

Name: RYSBRACK, JOHN MICHAEL *
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1822p
Nature: Effigy on monument to Dr Peter Drelincourt (1644-1822), Dean of Armagh. Plinth by W[illiam?] Colburne [i.e. Colebourne?] of London.
Refs: James Stuart, Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh (Newry, 1819), ?;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 105, Pl.65.

Name: CHANTREY, FRANCIS LEGATT (SIR) *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1826
Nature: Monument to Archbishop William Stuart.
Refs: Paula Murphy, Nineteenth-Century Irish Sculpture:  Native Genius Reaffirmed  (Yale University Press: New Haven & London, 2010), 100(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 105.  

Name: ROBINSON, G.J. #
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1827
Nature: GJR exhibits design for same at RA.
Refs: RA 1827, no. 1062

Name: COTTINGHAM, LEWIS NOCKALLS #
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1834-41
Nature: 'almost rebuilt' by LNC, who re-shored tower, removed spire, renewed aisle windows and restored and refurnished interior, removing font. Clerk of Works: Smith. Original glazing for windows supplied by John Orlibar cottingham.
Refs: B 64, ? Jun 1893, 451; APSD I, 98-9; Ulster Journal of Archaeology1940-1941, 87l; Howard Colvin, A Biographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840 (4th edn., 2008), 277; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 58-60; Janet Myles, L.N. Cottingham 1787-1847 (1996), 92-98;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 98-103, Pls. 75,76..

Name: THEAKSTON, JOSEPH *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1836p
Nature: Monument to Turner Macan (d. 1836), 'a simple Greek stela with acroteria' (Mulligan).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 106.

Name: COTTINGHAM, LEWIS NOCKALLS #
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1838
Nature: Monument to Co. Samuel Kelly (d. 1806), Col.William Kelly (d. 1817) and Col. Dawson Kelly (d. 1837). Design for monument 'now erecting' exh. RA 1838.
Refs: RA 1838, no. 1099;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 105-6.

Name: WARRINGTON, WILLIAM *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1849;1852;1854
Nature: Cathedral 'has been further ornamented by a chaste and well designed stained window, placed in the east of the building, at the expense of His Grace the Lord Primate'. (Replaced 1903ca by window by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.) Also 2 windows in N wall by William Warrington & Son: triple lancet (Visiting the Poor, Good Samaritan, Visiting the Sick) in memory of William Lodge Kidd, 1852;  triple lancet (Moses & Jethro, Moses, Samuel anointing David) in memory of William and Samuel Blacker, 1854.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 19 Nov 1849;  Ecclesiologist 16 (1855), 13 (reference supplied by Dr David Lawrence, Gladestry, Powys, Jul 2012);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 104;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/window/15808/ (last visited, Aug 2014)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1853
Nature: Removal of organ from south transept to north transept, adjacent to pulpit, thus providing accommodation for a chapter room. Introduction of gas. Church re-opened 15 Jan 1854.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 11 Nov 1853, 20 Jan 1854.

Name: FARRELL & SONS *
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1855p
Nature: Bas relief on monument to Thomas Osborne Kidd (d. 1855 at Sebastopol).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),106.


Name: CLAYTON & BELL *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1858; 1860
Nature: Stained glass memorial windows in S aisle in memory of Rev. Richard Allott, 1858, and Rev. Cosby Stopford Mangan, 1860.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 5 Apr 1860; DB 2, 1 May 1860, 259; Bassett's Guide to Co. Armagh (1888), 81;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3407/ (last visited Jan 2014).

Name: LAVERS & BARRAUD *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1863-64
Nature: Lavers & Barraud win limited competition for stained glass window in memory of late Archbishop Lord John George Beresford (d.1862), 1863. Design attributed to John Milner Allen by Lawrence.(Other competitors: Hardman, Clayton & Bell and O'Connor.) Window placed in S transept, Feb 1864.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 8 May 1863, 19 Feb 1864; Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/window/15802/ (last visited, May 2014). 

Name: MAROCHETTI, (PIETRO) CARLO GIOVANNI BATTISTA *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1864
Nature: Recumbent effigy of Archbishop Lord John George Beresford (d. 1862).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 105.

Name: HARDY, JOHN [2]
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1866
Nature: JH superintends installation of new hot-water heating apparatus by James Albin.
Refs: IB 9, 1 Jan 1867, 14

Name: GAFFIN, THOMAS *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1874p
Nature: Cruciform gothic plaque in memory of  Captain Alexander Duke Simpson (d. 1874) by Gaffin & Co.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 105.

Name: CARPENTER, RICHARD HERBERT #
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1886-90
Nature: Partial restoration by RHC & Benjamin Ingelow comprising new floor, new heating system, restoration of choir and transept roofs, new W porch. Choir fittings (bishop's throne and canopy and carved choir stalls) carried out by Bowdler & Co., Shrewsbury.
Refs: RHA 1890, no. 1789; Architect ?, 2 May 1887, 326; IB 30, 1 Oct,1 Dec 1888, 249,300; B 59, ? Sep 1890, 247(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 99.103.

Name: INGELOW, BENJAMIN #
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1886-90
Nature: Partial restoration by R.H. Carpenter & Benjamin Ingelow comprising new floor, new heating system, restoration of choir and transept roofs, new W porch. Choir fittings (bishop's throne and canopy and carved choir stalls) carried out by Bowdler & Co., Shrewsbury.
Refs: RHA 1890, no. 1789; Architect ?, 2 May 1887, 326; IB 30, 1 Oct,1 Dec 1888, 249,300; B 59, ? Sep 1890, 247(illus.)

Name: WHITEHEAD, JOSEPH JAMES *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1895
Nature: Marble portrait bust for monument to Archibishop Robert Bent-Knox (d.1893).  Exhibited at Royal Academy, 1895 (no. 1615).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 105.

Name: HEATON, BUTLER & BAYNE *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1896p;1903ca
Nature: Window in N wall of chancel (Jehoiada, St Paul), in memory of Archbishop Robert Gregg (d.1896).  E. window (Ascension) in memory of Archbishops John George and Marcus Gervaise Beresford and of Alexander James Beresford-Hope, 1903.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3407/ (last visited, Mar 2014).

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1897
Nature: Flat roof of choir being replaced by dome-shaped roof to improve accoustics.(Could this be RC cathedral?)
Refs: IB 35, 1 Dec 1893, 273

Name: SHARP, ALFRED PETER *
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1897a
Nature: Carving.
Refs: Irish Times, 26 Oct 1897.

Name: DREW, THOMAS (SIR)
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1901-03
Nature: Alts. comprising new E window (in memory of Primate Gregg), raising of choir ceiling & E arch of crossing. Improvements recommended by TD in report of 1897 but not carried out until 1902. Contr: John Thompson & Co., Peterborough (Robert Jebbs, foreman).
Refs: Plans, sections and elevations, 19 Jun 1901, in PRONI, DIO/4/22/7/41 (see PRONI e-catalogue); IB 39, 1 Feb 1897, 31; 45, 19 Nov 1903, 2098; Building News 82, 3 Jan 1902, 47; 85, 28 Aug 1903, 271; J. Williams, A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 10;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 99-100,102.

Name: BACON, PERCY (BROTHERS)
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1913a
Nature: Opus sectile ceramic panel in reredos depicting Last Supper
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 103.

Name: SHAW, KATHLEEN *
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1914;1918p
Nature: Monuments to Archbishop William Alexander, 1914, and to Lt. Col. Philip E. Kelly (d.1918).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 105,106.

Name: POWELL, JAMES & SONS *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1925
Nature: Stained glass window in S aisle (SS. George, John and Patrick) designed by James Humphries Hogan.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/window/15806/ (last visited, apr 2014).

Name: SEAVER, HENRY
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1934a
Nature: Extensive renovations to roof, which was put on about 100 years earlier during Cottingham restoration.
Refs: IB 76, 24 Mar 1934, 245

Name: ECCLESIASTICAL COMMISSIONERS
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Alts. to (or survey of?) arcades between nave and aisles?
Refs: Unsigned, undated drawing in RCB Library, portfolio 2a

Name: FARRELL, WILLIAM
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Gothic and neo-Norman proposals for 'A Cathedral' (probably Armagh)
Refs: Undated plan and elevations of neo-Norman cathedral, signed William Farrell, Architect, and unsigned, undated plan and elevations (in same hand) of Gothic cathedral in collection of William Harvey (a descendant of Farrell's pupil Sandham Symes), 86 Beechwood Drive, Broomhill, Glasgow;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 98.


Name: EGINTON, FRANCIS *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass E window (The Good Samaritan), replaced in late 19th century.
Refs: William West, The history, topography and directory of Warwickshire (Birmingham, 1830), 242;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 136.

Name: DUNBAR, HARRIET SUSAN ISABELLA
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Window in chancel 'designed and painted by the late Primate's niece, Mrs Dunbar'.
Refs: B.H. Blacker, 'Sketches of Irish Churches' in Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 14, no. 155, 23 Apr 1872, 84.
Edit