Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. GALWAY, KILLYAN (OR KILLIAN) HOUSE

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. GALWAY, KILLYAN (OR KILLIAN) HOUSE
Date: 1872ca
Nature: Addition of new (single storey?) flat-roofed entrance wing, for Michael Chevers. Flight of cut-stone steps and portico with cut-stone columns led to 'lofty square entrance hall' which opened on either side into new drawing room (with bow window) and dining room. Wing topped with stone balustrade and ornamental urns. Wide gravel sweep in front of front door, around which were 'stone vases of flowers, backed by immense bushes of wonderful rhododendrons'. Front avenue diverted to new entrance and new lodge and gate piers erected. (Gate piers moved to St Jarlath's Vocational School, MountbellewChapel fitted up at same time. (House demolished, 1936.)
Refs: Information from Max Chevers (courtesy of NIAH), Feb 2011, citing booklet written by his grandmother Frederica Chevers when house was demolished in 1936.