Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)

Name: NOST, JOHN (VAN) [2]*
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1763p
Nature: Monument to John Echelin 'may well be by Van Nost' (Potterton)
Refs: Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 86

Name: MCALISTER, GEORGE #
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1812-1816
Nature: 5 windows in former mediaeval chancel (now used as synod hall) by GM, who died before they were finished. Work completed by his sisters. For William Beresford, Archbishop of Tuam.
Refs: Richard Ryan, Biographia Hibernica (1822), II, 388-9;  W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 42; A.M. Fraser, 'George McAllister, Glass-Painter', Dublin Historical Record 9 (1947-1948), 133-135;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3052/ (last visited Jul 2015).

Name: HESSION, -
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1813
Nature: 'Mr Hession, Architect' paid £4.11s. 'for his estimate and superintendence of the repairs of the Cathedral and Parish Church'.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).

Name: HAMPTON, JOHN
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1821
Nature: 'Mr Hampton, Architect' paid £1.14s.1½d 'for examining the repairs done to the Cathedral and Parish Church by Mr Fraser, and also for reporting to the vestry the state of the roof'. (Probabably John Hampton but possibly William Hampton.)
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1822-23
Nature: Payments amounting to £800 for repair and enlargement, 1822-23. Additional payment of £5 to 'Myles Higgins, for balance due him for repairing the slating', 1823.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).

Name: MURPHY, THOMAS
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1828
Nature: Minor alts, comprising fireplace in chapter room and new windows on N side, passage to circular tower and in tower itself. Also new, traceried E window. Work superintended by Thomas Murphy.
Refs: Signed drawing, postmarked 1828, in RCB Library, portfolio 26; letter from Thomas Murphy to Martin Blake, MP, Brooklodge, Galway, 26 Aug 1837, in NA, Blake of Ballyglunin papers M6936/38/293 (information from Kevin Mulligan)

Name: WELLAND, JOSEPH
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1828
Nature: Minor alts, comprising fireplace in chapter room and new windows on N side, passage to circular tower and in tower itself. Also new, traceried E window. Work superintended by Thomas Murphy.
Refs: Signed drawing, postmarked 1828, in Representative Church Body Library, portfolio 26, see RCB Library - Architectural Drawings, https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/5115 (last visited, Apr 2017); ; letter from Thomas Murphy to Martin Blake, MP, Brooklodge, Galway, 26 Aug 1837, in NA, Blake of Ballyglunin papers M6936/38/293 (information from Kevin Mulligan).

Name: LANYON, LYNN & LANYON
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1861
Nature: Proposals for addition, alts. and restoration, but design by Deanes chosen instead.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Jul,15 Sep 1861, 578,626

Name: DEANE, THOMAS NEWENHAM (SIR)
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1861-78
Nature: Restoration and enlargement to W preserving Norman chancel and chancel arch (used as entrance and porch of existing church).Interior lined with sandstone from Nepah, Castlebar. Memorial stone laid 27 Aug 1863, at ceremony in which Sir Thomas Deane addressed congregation. Exterior completed at cost of £13,000, 1875.Consecrated 9 Oct 1878. Internal fittings presented by Misses Cooper of Markree Castle; carvings 'brought by the late Mr Cooper from abroad, and are considered among the most rare and remarkable specimens of art'.(B 26, 611) Contractor: William Crowe & Son, Brunswick St, Dublin. Clerk of Works: Holloway. (14th century chancel to E of Norman chancel converted to Synod Hall.)
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Feb 1863, p.44v); B 19, 28 Sep 1861, 668; 21, 3,10 Jan,21 Feb,7 Mar,22 Aug,5 Sep 1863, 17,33,141-2,177,605,634; 22, 9 Apr 1864, 260,261(illus.); 26, 15 Aug 1868, 611; 36, 19 Oct 1878, 1100; DB 3, 15 Sep 1861, 626; 4, 1,15 Feb 1862, 34,35(illus. between 40 & 41); 5, 15 Jan,1 Mar,15 Apr,1 Sep 1863, 11,?,70,145; 6, 1 Jul 1864, 131; 7, 1 Feb 1865, 34; IB 20, 15 Oct 1878, 305;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 4 (no. 32 (15 Feb 1762), 396, quotes description of Deane's design from The Ecclesiologist;  Irish Times, 3 Feb 1863;31 Jan,31 Feb 1865;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 17, no. 194, 23 Jul 1875, 156;   Restoration of St Mary's Cathedral, Tuam; APSD, T, 99; Tuam Herald, 23 Sep 1922;  Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 373,379-80;  exterior and interior illus. in  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 256-7.


Name: CROWE BROS.
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1863
Nature: Stone lining. Contractor: Crowe. Architect: T.N. Deane
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Feb 1863, p.44v)

Name: WARD & HUGHES *#
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1871p;1873p
Nature: Window in chancel (S wall, 2nd from E) (Parable of the Sower) and west northmost window in S transept (Parable of the Prodigal Son) attrib. to studio of W & H by Lawrence.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3052/ (last visited, Jul 2015).

Name: HARRISON, CHARLES WILLIAM *
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1878a
Nature: Carved hammer beams and pulpit.
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 380

Name: FULLER, JAMES FRANKLIN
Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1896
Nature: Repairs, 1896.  Funds to be raised for further repairs to cathedral and synod hall, Jul 1897.
Refs: IB 38, 15 Oct 1896, 221;  Tuam Herald, 3 Jul 1897.