Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN

Name: WEBB, JOHN #
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1801a
Nature: 'The gardens are in the antique style and extensive, but, from the elegant taste Mr and Mrs Pole [i.e. Mr & Mrs William Wellesley-Pole?] have already displayed in the late improvements which have been most successfully executed by Mr Webb, so well known and his abilities so justly esteemed in this county, we may expect in a little time, to see Ballyfin unrivalled in improvements.'(Coote)
Refs: Sir Charles Coote, Statistical Survey of Queen's County (1801), 118

Name: SUTHERLAND, JOHN
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1812p
Nature: JS succeeds John Webb as landscape architect of park for Sir Charles Coote.
Refs: E. Malins & the Knight of Glin, Lost Demesnes: Irish landscape gardening, 1660-1845 (1976), 96; Keith Lamb & Patrick Bowe, A History of Gardening in Ireland (National Botanic Gardens, 1995), 48; Sean O'Reilly, Irish Houses & Gardens, 166;  Kevin V. Mulligan, Ballyfin: the restoration of an Irish house & demesne (Churchill House Press, 1911), 210

Name: MADDEN, DOMINICK
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1821-22
Nature: House begun to designs by DM (based on earlier designs by James Wyatt?), who built SW wing; work taken over by Richard & W.V. Morrison. (SW wing was then demolished and rebuilt using same materials on a site about 50 ft to E.)
Refs: E. McParland, 'Ballyfin, Co. Leix - I', Country Life 165, 20 Sep 1973, 702-5; Sean O'Reilly, Irish Houses & Gardens(1998), 169; Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan, 'New light on Ballyfin', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 8 (2005), 97-114;  Kevin V. Mulligan, Ballyfin: the restoration of an Irish house & demesne (Churchill House Press, 1911), 37-39(illus.).

Name: MORRISON, RICHARD (SIR)
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1822
Nature: With William Morrison, for Sir Charles Henry Coote.
Refs: Album of unsigned and undated plans, elevations, sections in Morrison's hand in British Library (Ref. 13315/1594); other plans by Morrison in collection of Sir Christopher Coote; E. McParland, 'Ballyfin, Co. Leix', Country Life 154 (13,20 Sep 1973), 702-5,774-7; A.M. Rowan, ed., The Architecture of Richard Morrison and William Vitruvius Morrison (IAA, 1989), 13-18(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, Ballyfin: the restoration of an Irish house & demesne (Churchill House Press, 1911), 39-54(illus.).

Name: MORRISON, WILLIAM VITRUVIUS
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1822
Nature: With Richard Morrison, for Sir Charles Henry Coote.
Refs: Album of designs for same in British Library; Maps 143 e 1 (phocopy in IAA pamphlets); E. McParland, 'Ballyfin, Co. Leix', Country Life 154 (13,20 Sep 1973), 702-5,774-7; A.M. Rowan, ed., The Architecture of Richard Morrison and William Vitruvius Morrison (IAA, 1989), 13-18(illus.); Sean O'Reilly, Irish Houses & Gardens(1998), 169(illus.)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1829
Nature: Design for 9 pane sash window, with curved upper sash.
Refs: Unsigned design inscr 'Office window with cut stone facings / at Ballyfinn 1829' in Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA Drawings Collection, SD46/14, see British Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/6l4DVU8NFC/MAIN_CAT/237720086/13 (last visited May 2009).

Name: MALLET, ROBERT [2]
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1835a
Nature: Construction of 'some very large metallic truss beams for Sir Charles Coote'. By J. & R. Mallet.
Refs: Architectural Magazine 2 (1835), 166

Name: TURNER, RICHARD *
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1850ca
Nature: Conservatory
Refs: E.J. Diestelkamp, 'Richard Turner (c.1798-1881)and his glasshouses', Glasra 5 (1981), 52; Sean O'Reilly, Irish Houses & Gardens, 169

Name: PATTERSON, BENJAMIN THOMAS
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1896;1900
Nature: Advises on repair of sinking library ceiling, 1896. Provides specifications for new floors in 2 basement rooms, new access to mezzanine storey, new entrance from pleasure ground and? new side entrance, 1900.
Refs: IAA, PKS B23/21

Name: CULLEN, THOMAS JOSEPH
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1928
Nature: Proposed alts. & adds. to north and south blocks of former stable yard for Patrician Brothers.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, T.J. Cullen Collection, 85/74

Name: WYATT, JAMES #
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: ?
Nature: Proposals for enlargement or remodelling same. For Sir Charles Coote, or William Pole or William Wellesley Pole.
Refs: Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan, 'New light on Ballyfin', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 8 (2005), 101-102

Name: CAMPBELL, MURDOCH
Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: ?
Nature: Designed and constructed works in demesne including 'almost certainly the tower, the ornamental rockwork, the menagerie and kennels'.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, Ballyfin: the restoration of an Irish house & demesne (Churchill House Press, 1911), 218.