Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, ERASMUS SMITH CHARTER SCHOOL

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, ERASMUS SMITH CHARTER SCHOOL
Date: 1752-1755
Nature: New 3-storey school on four acres given by Owen Wynne, 'building' in 1752. Opened 1755 for 80 children. Governors of Erasmus Smith Schools paid Incorporated Society for Promoting English Protestant Schools £500 towards its building and £250 per annum. (School closed in 1854 but building later used for Diocesan School and then for Grammar School.)
Refs: William Wenman Seward, Topographia Hibernica (1795), ?; William Gregory Wood Martin, History of Sligo, county and town, from the earliest ages to the close of the reign of Queen Elizabeth (to the present time) (Dublin, 1882-92), III, 416; Terence O'Rorke, History of Sligo (1889), II, 439.