Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET, FRANCISCAN CHURCH (RC, OLD)

Name: O'BRIEN, - [2]
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET, FRANCISCAN CHURCH (RC, OLD)
Date: 1824
Nature: 'In 1782 the Franciscans erected a…chapel in Newgate-lane, which they have; lately exchanged for the present elegant structure now in progress in Henry-street…'(Fitzgerald). FS laid Sep 1824.  Church blessed by Archbishop of Cashel (Dr Laffan) 18 Mar 1826 and opened May 1827. Builders: Raleigh and Slattery. (Sanctuary added later and belfry added in 1837. Replaced by new Church of the Immaculate Conception, built on same site, 1876)
Refs: Patrick Fitzgerald & John James McGregor, The history, topography, and antiquities, of the county and city of Limerick (Dublin, 1826-7), II, 574; M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 659; Limerick Diocesan History Project, http://www.limerickdioceseheritage.org/Franciscans/textFranciscans.htm (last visited, Apr 2012).

Name: KIRWAN, MICHAEL *
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET, FRANCISCAN CHURCH (RC, OLD)
Date: 1847
Nature: Marble altar.
Refs: Irish Catholic Directory (1848), 235,325.

Name: GOLDIE, GEORGE #
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET, FRANCISCAN CHURCH (RC, OLD)
Date: 1866
Nature: Renovation & repairs, new high altar. Marble work: P. Scannell. Decoration: Hodkinson.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Feb 1866, 53