Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DONEGAL, KILLYBEGS, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DONEGAL, KILLYBEGS, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1829
Nature: 'The church, a neat small edifice, was built on rising ground to the east of the town in 1829, at an expense of £1000.' (Lewis)
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 158; F.W. Fawcett and D.W.T. Crooks, eds., Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), 154(illus.); exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 154.

Name: HARDY, ALEXANDER
Building: CO. DONEGAL, KILLYBEGS, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1859-62
Nature: Eastward extension with polygonal chancel. Preliminary survey by A. Hardy. Extension designed by Welland & Gillespie?
Refs: Survey drawing by A. Hardy, 1859, and unsigned plan of extension, 1862, ?by W & G, in RCB Library, portfolio 25; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 332

Name: WELLAND & GILLESPIE
Building: CO. DONEGAL, KILLYBEGS, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1859-62
Nature: Eastward extension with polygonal chancel. Preliminary survey by A. Hardy. Extension designed by Welland & Gillespie?
Refs: Survey drawing by A. Hardy, 1859, and unsigned plan of extension, 1862 (by W & G?) in RCB Library, portfolio 25; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 332

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DONEGAL, KILLYBEGS, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Proposed addition to existing sacristy.
Refs: Undated design in IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc.2006/142;