Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. GALWAY, GARBALLY PARK (BALLINASLOE)

Name: GROVES, JOHN THOMAS #
Building: CO. GALWAY, GARBALLY PARK (BALLINASLOE)
Date: 1811
Nature: Obelisk in grounds of unusual pierced design, 'erected from a design presented gratuitously by J.T. Groves, Esq.'. For Richard Trench, 2nd Earl of Clancarty.
Refs: Inscription on obelisk; according to Tadhg MacLoughlainn, Ballinasloe: a story of a community over the past 200 years (1971), 38, the monument was actually the spire of St John's CI church, Kilclooney, destroyed by fire in 1899, after which the spire was moved to the demesne.

Name: CUNDY, THOMAS #
Building: CO. GALWAY, GARBALLY PARK (BALLINASLOE)
Date: 1819ca
Nature: House designed by TC for 2nd Earl of Clancarty.
Refs: Howard Colvin, A Biographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840 (4th edn., 1995), 292-3, citing letter from Lord Clancarty, 7 Jul 1819, in Northumberland County Record Office ZMI s. 76/27/44.

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. GALWAY, GARBALLY PARK (BALLINASLOE)
Date: 1863
Nature: New gateway had been built on S side of mansion. It is said that a lodge will shortly be added. For 3rd Earl of Clancarty.
Refs: DB 5, 1 Feb 1863, 17

Name: KEMPSTER, JAMES FORTH
Building: CO. GALWAY, GARBALLY PARK (BALLINASLOE)
Date: 1864
Nature: Lodge on N side of demesne, for 3rd Earl of Clancarty. Contractor: Clarke & Seal.
Refs: DB 6, 1 Apr 1864, 61

Name: BYRNE, RALPH HENRY
Building: CO. GALWAY, GARBALLY PARK (BALLINASLOE)
Date: 1922-23
Nature: Alterations, painting and renovation, for 5th Earl of Clancarty.
Refs: IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 830; 65, ? ? 1923, 475

Name: KEMPSTER, JAMES FORTH
Building: CO. GALWAY, GARBALLY PARK (BALLINASLOE)
Date: ?
Nature: Lodge 'attributable to Kempster' according to J.A.K. Dean.
Refs: Letter from J.A.K. Dean to A.M. Rowan, 28 Sep 1998