Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. WICKLOW, SHILLELAGH, CHURCH (CI)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. WICKLOW, SHILLELAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1833-34
Nature: New church for perpetual curacy established 26 Mar 1833. Cost £2,500 of which £900 was gift from 5th Earl Fitzwilliam, Dublin.
Refs: J.B. Leslie, Ferns Clergy and Parishes (1936), 237;  exterior illus. in Clergy of Cashel and Emly; Clergy of Leighlin (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2012), 295; 


Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. WICKLOW, SHILLELAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1888-89
Nature: Chancel and transepts added, by Frances Harriet, Countess of Fitzwilliam (d. 1895, wife of 6th Earl) who also restored interior. Tenders invited for erecting transepts, May 1888. Contractor: J. & W. Beckett, Dublin. Work supervised by Mr Kerr. Church reopened and consecrated, 29 Jan 1889. Cost: £2,000. Communion table 'constructed of the famed Shillelagh oak in Lorrd Fitwilliam's building yard at Coollattin'.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 19 May,1 Sep 1888, 19 Jan ,2 Feb1889;  IB 31, 1 Feb 1889, 40;  J.B. Leslie, Ferns Clergy and Parishes (1936), 237.

Name: CLAYTON & BELL *#
Building: CO. WICKLOW, SHILLELAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: Stained-glass lancets representing Last Supper, Christ among the Doctors, and the Sermon on the Mount placed in chancel in memory of late Countess Fitzwilliam. Also lectern and chancel panelling.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 11 Jun 1898;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3032/ (last visited, Feb 20100.

Name: CLAYTON & BELL *#
Building: CO. WICKLOW, SHILLELAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1902
Nature: 2 windows in N transept (Shepherds worshipping & Adoration of the Magi) erected in memory of William thomas Spencer Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, 6th Earl Fitzwilliam (d.1902).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3032/ (last visted, Feb 2010).

Name: CLAYTON & BELL *#
Building: CO. WICKLOW, SHILLELAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1909
Nature: Stained-glass window (Christ with Martha) erected in memory of late Mrs Brooke by her husband, Mr Frank Brooke.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 18 Sep 1909;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3032/ (last visited, Feb 2010).