Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DONEGAL, GWEEDORE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DONEGAL, GWEEDORE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1860a
Nature: New church on Latin cross plan. Length of nave & chancel 112ft. Transepts 40 ft wide. 15 double light windows in walls, plus chancel window 25 x 10ft, 'intended for stained glass'. Rubble walling with cut stone dressings. Consecrated Oct? 1860.
Refs: B 18, 27 Oct 1860, 687-8; DB 2, 1 Nov 1860, 363

Name: HEVEY, TIMOTHY
Building: CO. DONEGAL, GWEEDORE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1874
Nature: Addition of gabled extension on N side with wheel window in gable. For Rev. James McFadden, PP. (Now a library)
Refs: IB 16, 15 Sep 1874, 343; Sean O'Reilly, 'Timothy Hevey (1846-1878): an episode in Irish High Victorian architecture', Ph.D. thesis, submitted to the National University of Ireland, June 1994, 202