||CO. KILKENNY, PILTOWN, MARKET HOUSE
||2-storey, 3-bay building with arcaded ground floor, square-headed windows with label mouldings above and semi-circular stairwell at rear. 'A patent for a market has been obtained, but it is not yet established; a handsome building, erected at the expense of the [3rd] Earl of Besborough and intended for the market house, is appropriated to the use of the R.C. day-school, the Protestant Sunday-school., and all public meetings: it is also used for performing the evening church service.' (Lewis) Derelict by 1926.
Survey plan and elevation, 1926, in NA, OPW drawings collection, old ref. D.3.8; Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 461