Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)

Name: MILLER, SANDERSON #
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1756-57
Nature: SM advises Bishop Richard Pococke on restoration of Gothic choir; as executed choir may incorporate some features suggested by SM. (Pococke's work removed in 1863 and some of it relocated in Dunleckney Manor, Co. Carlow.)
Refs: Michael McCarthy, 'Eighteenth-century cathedral restoration', Studies (Winter 1976), 330-341; (Spring 1977), 60-76.

Name: COLLES, WILLIAM [1]*
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1763
Nature: Monument to Lord Mountgarret finished by WC
Refs: E.McP files, citing J.G.A. Prim MSS in PRO

Name: SCHEEMAKERS, PETER *#
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1779
Nature: Monument to Anne Cox, wife of Michael Cox, Bishop of Ossory.
Refs: The Complete Irish Traveller (1788), 109; Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 77, Fig. 39

Name: DARLEY, GEORGE [2]*
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1787p
Nature: Memorial to John Baillie (d.1787) signed 'Geo. Darley Jun. Dublin fecit'.
Refs: Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 42

Name: CHANTREY, FRANCIS LEGATT (SIR) *#
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1823ca
Nature: Bust of Sir Denis Pack (d.1823), also sword & laurels
Refs: J. Graves & J.G. Prim, History of St Canice's Cathedral (1857), 334

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1851ca
Nature: Restoration, including removal of whitewash from pillars and arches supporting belfry, which are being redecorated.
Refs: B 9, 20 Sep 1851, 600

Name: RICHARDSON, EDWARD M. *#
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1856
Nature: Tomb of 2nd Marquess of Ormonde (d.1854) showing his recumbent figure, with portrait statues of his children at the head and feet.
Refs: B 14, 4 Oct 1856, 548; J. Graves & J.G. Prim, History, architecture & antiquities of the Cathedral Church, Kilkenny (1857), 347; small model exhibited RA 1860, no. 999; Paula Murphy, Nineteenth-Century Irish Sculpture:  Native Genius Reaffirmed  (Yale University Press: New Haven & London, 2010), 98(illus.).

Name: DEANE, THOMAS NEWENHAM (SIR)
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1864-1870
Nature: Restoration.  Plans submitted Jun 1863; estimated cost over £7,000, including heating and tower. Work started 1864 with reroofing of building. Builder: Cockburn. Carving of hammer beams of nave roof by Mr Harris.  Lady chapel completely rebuilt, 1865. Pulpit, 1869, and reredos executed by C.W. Harrison. Prebendal stalls by Mr Digges, Lincoln Place, Dublin.  Oak bishop's throne from Powell & Earley   Marble chancel floor laid by Mr Collis, Kilkenny Marble Mills. N. choir aisle window presented by TND in memory of Woodward and Robert O'Callaghan Newenham. Cathedral reopened, 27 Mar 1870.
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Aug 1863, p. 32v), L1 (pp. 667,672,786,791,896,933 &c.); Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 4, no. 48 (15 Jun 1863), 796;  B 21, 5 Sep 1863, 634,636; 22, 13 Aug 1864, 665 (or 605?); 30, 7 Sep 1872, 705,707(illus.);   RHA 1864, nos. 409,411;  DB 6, 1 Jul,1 Sep 1864, 131,176-7; 7, 15 Aug 1865, 201; 8, 1 Apr 1866, 83;  IB 9, 1 Sep,1 Oct 1867, 229,263; 11, 15 Aug 1869, 192-3(illus); 12, 1 Jan,1 Nov 1870, 4,259; 17, 15 Jul 1875, 190(illus.); 32, 15 Dec 1890, 292;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 12, no. 131, 23 Apr 1870, 97;  JRSAI 79? (1949), 3; R. Langrishe, Handbook to Cathedral Church of St Canice, Kilkenny (1879), 33; RIBAJ 16 (1865-6), 85-93; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 367-369,379-80;  exterior and interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 328-9.

Name: POWELL, JAMES & SONS *#
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1868
Nature: Double-lancet window in north chapel of chancel (Christ in the House of Simon, Christ and the Samarian woman at the well). Designed by Henry Holiday.
Refs: David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (2005), II, 52 (copies of report in IAA and RCB Library, Dublin)

Name: WESTLAKE, NATHANIEL HUBERT JOHN *#
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1871
Nature: Triple lancet E window in N chapel of chancel des. by NHJW and executed by Lavers, Barraud & Westlake.
Refs: David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (RCB report, 2005), II, 52

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1872
Nature: Restoration and cleaning of internal surfaces of walls; repointing of outer walls.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Name: WARD & HUGHES *#
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1875
Nature: Marquess of Ormond having stained glass E window installed at cost of £1000. Copy of original window destroyed by Cromwellian soldiery.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 15, no. 165, 22 Feb 1873, 296;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3015/ (last visited, Aug 2015).

Name: HOLLAND, WILLIAM *#
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1875
Nature: Stained glass for W window depicting the Good Shepherd, 'Feed my Sheep' and 6 miracles. By Holland, Son & Holt, Warwick. Gift of Col. W.F.Tighe.
Refs: IB 14, 1 Oct 1872, 272; B 31, 26 Jul 1873, ?; David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (2005), II, 51 (copies of report in IAA and RCB Library, Dublin)

Name: MAYER & CO. *#
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1876-1904
Nature: N aisle: 6 lancets (Sons of Asaph, 1899; Calling SS Peter & Andrew, 1891, attrib.; Christ blessing children, 1880, attrib.). S transept: 4 lancet windows (2 of these (Good Works, Crown of Life, 1904) attrib. with confidence to William Francis Dixon by Lawrence). N transept: 2 lancets (Nehemiah rebuilds the walls of Jerusalem, Christ heals the Centurion's servant, 1900, attrib. to W.F. Dixon by Lawrence).
Refs: George Henry Bassett, Kilkenny City and County (1884), 25; Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3015/ (last visited, Jan 2014).

Name: WARD & HUGHES *#
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: Window 'just erected' in gable of S transept in memory of Rt. Rev. Dr O'Brien, Bishop of Ossory. subjects comprise six of the great acts of faith mentionioned in Hebrews xi.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 117.

Name: STREET, GEORGE EDMUND #
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: GES inspects cathedral accompanied by Mr Langrishe, Mar 1877, 'with a view to report upon the way in which the remaining works of restoration are to be completed'. Recommends stripping and relating of entire roof with lead inserted under top stones of parapets and in all gutters.  Mr Langrishe instructed to prepare specification for same. Gift of  carved oak screen designed by GES accepted by Restoration Committee. Chapter house to be panelled. Mr Langrishe to consult GES and prepare specification for same. Work on roof 'being rapidly pushed forward', May 1879.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 117; 20, no. 227, 1 Feb 1878, 45; 21, no. 243, 1 Jun 1879, 553.

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: RL accompanies George Edmund Street, Mar 1877, 'with a view to report upon the way in which the remaining works of restoration are to be completed'. Streetecommends stripping and relating of entire roof with lead inserted under top stones of parapets and in all gutters.  RL instructed to prepare specification for same.  Chapter house to be panelled. RL to consult Street and prepare specification for same. Reslating and felting of roof 'being rapidly pushed forward', May 1879. Contractor: William K. Cleere. Works to counter damp and instal new heating completed by Dec 1879.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson Hugh R. Langrishe in IAA); typescript biography of RL by Hugh R. Langrishe (2007), 17,86; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 117; 20, no. 227, 1 Feb 1878, 45; 21, no. 242,243, 1 May,1 Jun,1 Dec 1879, 524,554, supplement p. 11;  IB 21, 15 May 1879, 146.

Name: BURGES, WILLIAM #
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1878
Nature: Memorial window to John Hugh Bainbridge (d. 10 Jun 1877) in W wall of N aisle. Glass by Saunders & Co. from cartoons by H.W. Lonsdale.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 226, 1 Jan 1878, 18;   J. Mordaunt Crook, William Burges and the High Victorian Dream (1981), 208-9; illus. in Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3015/ (last visited, Nov 2015).

Name: STREET, GEORGE EDMUND #
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1878
Nature: Designed oak screen to Lady Chapel.
Refs: R. Langrishe, Handbook to the Cathedral Church of St Canice, Kilkenny (1879), 6

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1883p
Nature: Clergy and choir entrance porch to S chapel of chancel, built by William K. Cleere.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1886p
Nature: Memorial cross to Rev. James Graves (d.1886) opposite N aisle entrance. Commissioned by Graves's wife. Outline & details taken from crosses at Kilklispeen, Killamery, Armagh and Clonmacnoise.
Refs: JRSAI 21 (1890), 111-112(illus.)

Name: BLOMFIELD, ARTHUR WILLIAM (SIR) #
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1897
Nature: Works at same?
Refs: Building News 73, 1 Oct 1897, 492

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: Re-flooring with Kilkenny marble (sanctuary) and encaustic tiles. Marble laid by Colles.Contractor for foundation bed and tiling: William Cleere.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1900a
Nature: Carved oak clergy stalls in cathedral and small oak reredos. Carried out by De Wespelaere of Bruges.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA); IB 42, 1 Nov 1900, 534-535

Name: BUCKLEY, MICHAEL JOSEPH CUNNINGHAM *
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1901
Nature: Involved in design and execution of carved oak stalls
Refs: IB 42, 1 Nov 1900, 535; 43, 7 Nov 1901, 921(illus.)

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1902-03
Nature: Oak screens in entrance arches of N and S chapels of chancel and in arch behind Bishop's throne, erected as memorial to Dean Thomas Hare (d.1901) and carried out buy De Wespelaere, Bruges.
Refs: IB 43, 22 May 1902, 1262; MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Name: RHIND, ETHEL *
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1918
Nature: 2-light war memorial window in S wall of S aisle, 'The Crown of Life'.
Refs: Nicola Gordon Bowe, David Caron & Michael Wynne, Gazetteer of Irish Stained Glass (1988), 61; David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (2005), II, 51 (copies of report in IAA and RCB Library, Dublin)

Name: CHILD, ALFRED ERNEST *
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1931
Nature: 2-light window (Nativity) in S wall of S aisle.
Refs: Nicola Gordon Bowe, David Caron & Michael Wynne, Gazetteer of Irish Stained Glass (Irish Academic Press, 1988), 61; David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (2005), II, 51 (copies of report in IAA and RCB Library, Dublin)

Name: ESSEX, JAMES #
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Design of organ case attributed to JE by McCarthy.
Refs: Michael McCarthy, The Origins of the Gothic Revival (1987), 166-7.

Name: KIRK, THOMAS *
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Monument to Rev. Robert Fowler, Bishop of Ossory.
Refs: H. Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 57

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Chapter house gateway.
Refs: JRSAI 53 (1923), 110

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Memorial brass under westernmost window in S side of nave, in memory of members of RL's sister and her grandsons. Carried out by T.R. Scott & Co., Upper Abbey St, Dublin.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Chapter house stalls. Carried out by T.R. Scott & Co., Upper Abbey St, Dublin.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Name: LANGRISHE, RICHARD
Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Removal of roughcast from inner surfaces of nave and transept walls .
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)