Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE

Name: STAPLETON, MICHAEL *
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1796-1800
Nature: MS contractor for same. Work included extension of Stoyte House. Buildings inspected by Waldré, 1800.
Refs: JHCI 24, II 1797 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); NA/SPO 516/94/6 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); C.P. Curran, Dublin Decorative Plasterwork of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries (1967), 85

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1796-1801
Nature: FS of new buildings, i.e. wings to existing house, laid 20 Apr 1796. Large payments for building made until 1801.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, Maynooth payments, 1796-1846, MS p125/1; T.K. Cromwell, Excursions through Ireland (1820), ?; J.N. Brewer, The Beauties of Ireland (1825 & 1826), II, ?; J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 640

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1808-1810;1819
Nature: Additional buildings. Contractor: John Curran.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, Maynooth payments, 1796-1846, MS p125/1

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1822;1825;1827;1829-1833
Nature: Large payments for building work made (including part of enclosure wall, ball courts, second refectory and second chapel)
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, Maynooth documents, MS p125/1 (includes specification, 26 Apr 1822, for adds. to S wing of college including external entrance & 2 granite staircases)

Name: PUGIN, AUGUSTUS WELBY NORTHMORE #
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1845-1850
Nature: Designs, 1845, rejected as too expensive by Board of Works. AWNP appointed architect by Sir Robert Peel. resigned Jan 1846; reappointed July 1847 for reduced scheme. Contract dated 17 Jul 1847. Clerk of Works: Richard Pierce. Builder: W.H. Beardwood
Refs: Drawings in Clonliffe College Archive, Maynooth documents, MS p125/1, &125/2; bird's eye view, 1845, preliminary notes re numbers of students, and photograph of undated interior perspective of chapel in Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA Drawings Collection,  PB244/5, see A. Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (1977), 71, 105, and British Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/2hQPByR8Ci/MAIN_CAT/8070038/13 (last visited Apr 2009); 14th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1846), 6;16th Annual Report (1848), 15(illus., repr. in F. O'Dwyer, 'Building empires: architecture, politics and the Board of Works 1760-1860', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), Pl.40); 17th Annual Report (1849), 25; 20th Annual Report (1852-3), 38; B 3, 6 Dec 1845, 585; 9, 31 May 1851, 346; 11, 22 Jan 1853, 60; Catholic Directory\ (1848), 225; DB 3, 15 Aug 1861, 603; Michael Trappes-Lomax, Pugin, a Mediaeval Victorian (1932), 334; Phoebe Stanton, Pugin (1971), 205; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 317-8; R. O'Donnell, 'The Pugins in Ireland' in P.Atterbury, ed., A.W.N. Pugin, Master of Gothic Revival (Yale, 1995), 148-153(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A.W.N. Pugin and St Patrerick's College, Maynooth', Irish Arts Review Yearbook (1996), 102-109;  Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 64,96,99(illus).

Name: OWEN, THOMAS ELLIS #
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1846
Nature: TEH draws up plans for same following resignation of A.W.N. Pugin, Jan 1846. Pugin reinstated as architect, Jul 1847, so Owen's plans were not executed.
Refs: F. O'Dwyer, 'Building empires: architecture, politics and the Board of Works 1760-1860', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), 156-7

Name: CARSON, EDWARD HENRY
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1849
Nature: EHC exhibits 'Proposed design for the R.C. College' at RHA
Refs: RHA 1849, no. 398

Name: BEARDWOOD, WILLIAM HAUGHTON *
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1852-1853
Nature: Work, including new belfry
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, Maynoot documents, MS P125/2

Name: BEARDWOOD, WILLIAM HAUGHTON *
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1859-1860
Nature: New gateway to college cemetery (which was opened in 1817)
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, Maynoot documents, MS P125/2 (also p7/2 p15)

Name: PUGIN & ASHLIN
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1860s?
Nature: Design for chapel
Refs: Undated perspective drawing of interior in RIBA drawings collection, see A. Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (1977), 119;

Name: MCCARTHY, JAMES JOSEPH
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1861-62
Nature: Infirmary to N of main quadrangle. Plain Gothic. Contractors: Carolin & Kerr. Cost: £15,000. Contractor: George Carolin.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Aug 1861, 598; 4, 15 Feb 1862, 44; 32nd Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1863), 9; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 60

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1863a;1867
Nature: Adds. to library and museum (by J.J. McCarthy?). £1000 spent on new(?) library and museum, 1867. Mason's work by Peter Kelly, 1872.
Refs: IAA, PKS B05/51; 32nd Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1863), 9; Clonliffe College Archive, Maynooth documents , MS p125/2

Name: MCCARTHY, JAMES JOSEPH
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1875-1880
Nature: Chapel. JJM appointed architect, 1875. Tenders invited, Jul 1875.  FS laid by Archbishop of Armagh, 11 Oct 1875. Shell only completed at time of JJM's death. Contractors: Carolin & Kerr. Cost by 1880 £26,242.0s.11d. Completed by William Hague. Tower and spire finished to JMM's design, under supervision of T.F. McNamara, 1902. Cross on spire des. by JJM & exec. by John Fagan in copper.
Refs: RHA 1876, no. 278; 1879, nos. 311,367,374; Building News 79, 7 Sep 1900, 318; IB 17, 1 Feb 1875, 43; 43, 26 Sep,5 Dec 1901, 873,964; 44, 30 Jan,31 Jul 1902, 1021,1344(illus.);  Freeman's Journal, 23,28 Jul,4 Aug 1875; Tuam Herald, 16 Oct 1875;  Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 60

Name: HAGUE, WILLIAM [2]
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1879
Nature: New buildings on site of wing destroyed by fire in Nov 1878. Builder: Hammond & Co., Drogheda. £9,000.
Refs: IB 21, 1 Nov 1879, 344

Name: HAMMOND, ARTHUR *
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1887
Nature: Proposed additions. Architect: J.L. Robinson. Estimated cost of A. Hammon's tender £8,371.
Refs: IAA, PKS A07 (Mar 1887)

Name: HAGUE, WILLIAM [2]
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1887-1891;1899-
Nature: Winner of limited competition for completion of same. Chapel 'to be built immediately'(1887). Opened 24 Jun 1891. Altars by Ryan (Dublin).Mosaic pavement by Burke (London). Organ by Stalhuth (Aix). Organ case by Buckley (Youghal). Stations of the Cross and painted ceiling by N.H.J. Westlake (London). Accessory ornament by Mannix (Dublin). Tower & spire carried out 1899-1901 under supervision of T.F. McNamara.
Refs: Selected competition design exh. Irish Exhibition in London 1888, no. 349; Architect 43, 28 Oct 1887, 259; IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 306; B 60, ? Jun 1891, 494; 62, 16 Apr 1892, 307; IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 306; 42, 1 Sep 1900, 468; 43, 26 Sep 1901, 873;  Irish Times, 4,8,13 Mar 1899.

Name: ASHLIN, GEORGE COPPINGER
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1888
Nature: Entrant in limited competition for completion of chapel.
Refs: Architect 43, 28 Oct 1887, 259; IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 306

Name: BYRNE, WILLIAM HENRY
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1888
Nature: Entrant in limited competition for completion of chapel. Design exh. RHA.
Refs: Architect 43, 28 Oct 1887, 259; IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 306; 30, 15 Jul 1888, 183 (illus.); RHA 1888, no. 473,476

Name: GOLDIE, CHILD & GOLDIE #
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1888
Nature: Entrants in limited competition for completion of chapel.
Refs: Architect 43, 28 Oct 1887, 259; IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 306

Name: MCCARTHY, CHARLES JAMES
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1888
Nature: Entrant in limited competition for completion of chapel. Design exh. RHA.
Refs: Architect 43, 28 Oct 1887, 259; IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 306; RHA 1888 (no. 472)

Name: O'CALLAGHAN, JOHN JOSEPH
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1888
Nature: Entrant in limited competition for completion of chapel.
Refs: Architect 43, 28 Oct 1887, 259; IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 306

Name: ROBINSON, JOHN LOFTUS
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1888
Nature: Entrant in limited competition for completion of chapel. design exh. RHA.
Refs: Architect 43, 28 Oct 1887, 259; RHA 1888, no. 479

Name: CONOLLY, WILLIAM, & SON *
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1890ca;1901
Nature: WC & Son contractors for chapel works, circa 1890, and for chapel tower, circa 1901. Architect: W. Hague
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p 352/1; IB 43, 1 Jan 1901, 592

Name: BUCKLEY, MICHAEL JOSEPH CUNNINGHAM *
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1891
Nature: Organ case (1891) in chapel
Refs: B 60, ? Jun 1891, 494; Paul Larmour, The Arts & Crafts Movement in Ireland (1992), 129, citing IB 46, 3 Dec 1904, 822.

Name: WESTLAKE, NATHANIEL HUBERT JOHN *#
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1891a
Nature: Stations of the Cross in chapel choir painted by NHJW and painted roof - one of the largest in UK with 90 life-size ¾ length figures- designed by him.
Refs: B 60, ? Jun 1891, 494.

Name: DE WISPELAERE, PIETER *#
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1897
Nature: Executed wooden altar relief to designs by Michael Joseph Cunningham Buckley, Youghal.
Refs: Patricia Butler, Nun's Cross Church, Co. Wicklow, and its treasures (2016), 74.

Name: BUCKLEY, MICHAEL JOSEPH CUNNINGHAM *
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1897
Nature: Wooden altar relief in chapel, executed by Pieter de Wispelaere
Refs: Patricia Butler, Nun's Cross Church, Co. Wicklow, and its treasures (2016), 74.

Name: MCNAMARA, THOMAS FRANCIS
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1899-1901
Nature: TFMcN supervised erection of tower and spire on death of William Hague. Contractor: William Connolly.
Refs: IB 42, 1 Sep 1900, 468; 43, 1 Jan,26 Sep 1901, 592,873

Name: KAYE-PARRY, WILLIAM
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1899ca
Nature: Main drainage.
Refs: Candidate's circular, 6 Nov 1893, submitted to Inst. CE (information from Miss Carol Arrowsmsith, Inst.CE archives)

Name: SCOTT, WILLIAM ALPHONSUS
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1904
Nature: O'Growney memorial tomb designed by Scott in form of small Celtic oratory. For Gaelic League.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1904, no. 301; IB 46, 30 Jan 1904, 37; 47, 14 Jan,8 Apr 1905, 5,229-30(illus.); B 87, 31 Dec 1904,697(illus. in supplement); described in article by Robert Elliott in The Leader, ? ? 1905, ?; Jeanne Sheehy, The Rediscovery of Ireland's Past: the Celtic Revival 1830-1930 (1980), 138(illus.); Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 32,33(illus.)

Name: ASHLIN & COLEMAN
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1905
Nature: External improvements & alts.
Refs: IB 47, 12 Aug 1905, 541

Name: ASHLIN & COLEMAN
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1908-11
Nature: Decoration and furnishing of Lady Chapel. High altar and reredos. Also proposed scheme for decoration of Students' Oratory.
Refs: Drawings, some dated 1909 & 1911, in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.123; IB 50, 5 Sep 1908, 537; IA & C 1, 8,15 Apr 1911, 148,1568(illus.)

Name: OPPENHEIMER, LUDWIG, LTD *#
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1910ca
Nature: Mosaic work in Lady Chapel and cloister floor.
Refs: Oppenheimer brochures,1915ca and Mosaics for Church Decoration (192?), 7(illus.) (information from Robert Field, Swanage, Dorset, Apr 2013).

Name: ASHLIN & COLEMAN
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1922
Nature: Improvements to Aula Maxima
Refs: IB 64, 23 Sep 1922, 654

Name: ASHLIN & COLEMAN
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1929
Nature: New wing and/or gymnasium block.
Refs: Drawing(s) for 6-bay Gothic gymnasium block in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection; IB 71, 28 Sep 1929, 876

Name: BAILY, JOHNSON ##
Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: ?
Nature: Society of African Missions hostel.
Refs: M.McDermott, Ireland's Architectural Heritage, p.153.