Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)

Name: DEANE, KEARNS
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1832-39
Nature: New church, for Rev. Fr. Russel. Dedicated 14 or 22 Oct 1839. Hexastyle portico, though mentioned by Lawson in 1842 as 'very fine' not completed until 1861. Flanking towers never executed.
Refs: Inscription in porch; building accounts, Tallaght MSS. (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Southern Reporter, 10 Oct 1839; Cartholic Directory (1839), 359; ?design exh. by Thomas & Kearns Deane at Mechanic's Institute Exh., Cork, 1828, as 'Design for a new Catholic Chapel'?; model exh. Nat. Exh. of Arts, Manufactures & Products, Cork, 1852 (no. 4); J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 210; J. Windele, Historical and Descriptive Notices of the City of Cork (1849), ?; APSD, C, 147; M. MacAuliffe, Dominicans in Cork (1939), 38; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 84-85(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 10(illus.),11,23,128

Name: DEANE, SON & WOODWARD
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1858-62
Nature: Completion of hexastyle Ionic portico; new colonnade and fa├žade to be added; 'nearly complete'in Feb 1862.  Contractor: Patrick Scannell. (Timber framework used for erection of portico designed by John Benson.)
Refs: B 16, 6 Nov 1858, 751; DB 3, 1 Jan 1861, 390;  Cork Examiner, 11 Feb 1862 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Feb 2011);  Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 130,296

Name: CAHILL, JAMES [1]*
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1860ca?
Nature: Statue in pediment. Copy of one in Piazza di Spagna, Rome, ereced by Pius IX.
Refs: M. MacAuliffe, Dominicans in Cork (1939), 38

Name: HURLEY, JOHN PINE
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1861
Nature: Interior alterations including division of interior into nave and aisles, removal of second communion rail.
Refs: T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 86; information from Fr. Robert Forde.

Name: GOLDIE & CHILD #
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1869
Nature: ?Works at., 1869. Builder: Barry McMullen. Baldacchino, 1872. High Altar, 1880.
Refs: IB 11, 15 Jul 1869, 166; Architect 23, 28 Aug 1880, 135(ill., design for pulpit); M. MacAuliffe, Dominicans in Cork (1939), 38

Name: HYNES, SAMUEL FRANCIS
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1895
Nature: 2 side altars of St Dominick and if Our Lady of Graces, consecrated 1895 by Dr Brown, Bishop of Cork. Statuary work by Smith of Dublin.
Refs: Capuchin Annual (1960), 24; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 86

Name: HARRINGTON, CYRIL ASHLIN
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1938
Nature: Alts. & adds.
Refs: IB 80, 2 Apr 1938, 285

Name: HYNES, SAMUEL FRANCIS
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: ?
Nature: Memorial to Rev. B.T. Russell in sanctuary. Executed by O'Connell. Bust by Thomas Farrell.
Refs: T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 85