Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. CORK, CORK, EMMET PLACE, CUSTOM HOUSE (OLD)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, EMMET PLACE, CUSTOM HOUSE (OLD)
Date: 1724
Nature: 3-storey, 7-bay, red-brick building with stone door and window surrounds and quoins.. Main front has projecting end bays and centrepiece with superimposed Doric and Ionic columns. (Became premises of Royal Cork Institution, q.v., in 1832. Now incorporated into Crawford School of Art)
Refs: Survey plans, 1877, by A.T. Williams in NA, OPW drawings collection, old ref. F.3.4; Complete Irish Traveller (1788), 146; Francis H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork Remembrancer (Cork, 1837), 127-8;  Country Life 142, ? Aug 1967, ?; E. McParland, Public Architecture in Ireland: 1680-1760 (2001), 119,120(illus.)

Name: DEANE, WILLIAM [1]
Building: CO. CORK, CORK, EMMET PLACE, CUSTOM HOUSE (OLD)
Date: 1798-1809
Nature: WD executes sundry works on custom house and stores for For Bernard Shaw, Collector. Also work on 'Mr Shaw's dwelling in the Port part of his Majesty's Custom House', 1807
Refs: MS. copy book of bills, estimates, bills of measurement, valuations &c. kept by William Deane, 1797-1809,  in IAA, Acc. 2009/91 (microfilm in NLI).