Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ARMAGH, MIDDLETOWN, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, TYNAN PARISH)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, MIDDLETOWN, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, TYNAN PARISH)
Date: 1833
Nature: Gallery added to church of 1796 (date given as 1793 in Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 368)  from funds of trustees of Bishop Sterne's charities.
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 1: Parishes of Co. Armagh, 1835-9, 126;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 130.


Name: ECCLESIASTICAL COMMISSIONERS
Building: CO. ARMAGH, MIDDLETOWN, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, TYNAN PARISH)
Date: 1853
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out works at same.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 5 Aug 1853.

Name: FULLER, JAMES FRANKLIN
Building: CO. ARMAGH, MIDDLETOWN, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, TYNAN PARISH)
Date: 1893
Nature: Refurbishment of interior, including refronting of gallery, new communion rails and prayer desk of solid oak. Reopened 56 Oct 1893. Builder: Dunwoody.
Refs: IB 35, 15 Oct 1893, 241;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 451.    

Name: JONES & WILLIS *#
Building: CO. ARMAGH, MIDDLETOWN, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, TYNAN PARISH)
Date: 1905
Nature: E window (Sermon on the Mount) in memory of Hugh Harris of Ashfort,1905.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3420/ (last visited, Apr 2014).