Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, NORTH STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, SHANKILL PARISH)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, NORTH STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1829-1833
Nature: New church, dedicated 1 Sep 1833 on site presented by Lord Lurgan. Cost £1,500. Decorated with 'minarets'. Gothic windows. Large and 'handsomely finished' gallery. Interior unfinished in 1837.
Refs: RIA, Ordnance survey memoirs, Box 18 (see Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 1: Parishes of Co. Armagh, 1835-9, 114); E. Campbell, Ecclesiastical Buildings in the Diocese of Dromore (1940), ?

Name: MURRAY, JOHN [2]
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, NORTH STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1867-69
Nature: Extensive enlargements (transepts & chancel), for Rev. William O'Brien, PP, VG. Contractor: Byrne, Corporation St, Belfast. FS laid 29 Jun 1867. Ded. 27 Jun 1869
Refs: P.J. Geraghty, A Heritage in Stone: the life and career of architect John Murray (1994), 46-48(illus.); E. Campbell, Ecclesiastical Buildings of the Diocese of Dromore (1940), ?;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 427.

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, NORTH STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1885
Nature: Enlargement.
Refs: George Henry Bassett, The Book of County Armagh (1888), 353

Name: MCDONNELL, JOHN JOSEPH
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, NORTH STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1893-1897
Nature: Partial rebuilding, for Rev. James O'Hare, PP. Contractor: D. McNaughton, Randalstown. ?And tower (1900, dedicated 25 Aug 1901, see IB 43, ? ? 1901, 845)
Refs: PRONI, W.H. Stephens & Sons papers, D1898/1/14; B 73, 24 Jul 1897, 76; E. Campbell, Ecclesiastical Buildings in the Diocese of Dromore (1940), ?;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 427.

Name: EARLEY & CO. *
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, NORTH STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1915
Nature: New font, executed to designs by G.C. Ashlin.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 9 Feb 1915.

Name: ASHLIN & COLEMAN
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, NORTH STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1915;1923-1927
Nature: New font (executed by Earley & Co.), 1915. High altar, redecoration, chancel furnishings, and other improvements, including pointing of tower & spire, 1924-27. Consecrated 22 May 1927.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.120;  Freeman's Journal, 9 Feb 1915;  IB 57, 13 Feb 1915, 82; 66, 29 Nov 1924, 1018; 67, 7 Feb 1925, 106; 69, 19 Mar 1927, 202; Catholic Directory (1927), 583; E. Campbell, Ecclesiastical Buildings in the Diocese of Dromore (1940), ?;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 427-8.
 

Name: ROBINSON, JOHN JOSEPH
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, NORTH STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1933
Nature: Hanging Cross of Austrian oak, carved by Boulton & Sons, Cheltenham.
Refs: IB 75, 7 Oct 1933, 865