Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, COLLEGE HILL, ROYAL SCHOOL

Name: COOLEY, THOMAS
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, COLLEGE HILL, ROYAL SCHOOL
Date: 1774
Nature: New school buildings erected at cost of £5,078 (£3,000 given byRichard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh, and £2,078, by Arthur Grueber, headmaster)
Refs: APSD, A, 98-99; James Stuart, Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh (Newry, 1819), ?; Edward Rogers, Topographical Sketches of Armagh & Tyrone (1874), 5; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 83-5; Desmond Fitzgerald & Roger Weatherup, The Way we were (1993), 36(illus.)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, COLLEGE HILL, ROYAL SCHOOL
Date: 1849
Nature: Improvements (dormitories, school rooms, apartments, play room, ball court, entrance and cloisters).
Refs: Edward Rogers, Topographical Sketches of Armagh & Tyrone (1874), 5

Name: BELL, G.P. & R.H.
Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, COLLEGE HILL, ROYAL SCHOOL
Date: 1950
Nature: Cricket pavilion
Refs: Obituary of G.P.Bell in RSUA Yearbook 1983, 20; illus. in Kevin John Cartin, 'The work of George Philip Bell', submitted to Queen's University of Belfast as part of the examination in Architecture, January 1986, 82.