Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DOWN, STRANGFORD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, STRANGFORD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1820
Nature: New church erected 1820 on land given by Lord Henry Fitzgerald and built almost entirely at his expense. Ornamental crosses also given by Lord Henry in 1824.
Refs: James O’Laverty, An historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, Ancient and Modern (1878), ?

Name: MCLEAN, THOMAS
Building: CO. DOWN, STRANGFORD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1931
Nature: New church replacing one of 1820 irreparably damaged by fire, Sep 1930.. Contractor: Flynn & McNeill, Dundrum.
Refs: IB 73, 14,28 Feb,1 Aug 1931, 146,188,686; G.P. Bell, C.E.B. Brett, R. Matthew, Portaferry & Strangford (UAHS, 1969), 27 (no. 103)