Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DOWN, LOUGHBRICKLAND, CHURCH OF ST MELLAN (CI, AGHADERG PARISH)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, LOUGHBRICKLAND, CHURCH OF ST MELLAN (CI, AGHADERG PARISH)
Date: 1819
Nature: Tower and spire added to existing late seventeenth century church.
Refs: Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 161(illus.);  exterior of church also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 196.

Name: SMYTH, JOHN [4]*
Building: CO. DOWN, LOUGHBRICKLAND, CHURCH OF ST MELLAN (CI, AGHADERG PARISH)
Date: 1826p
Nature: JS exhibits 'Part of a Monument intended to be erected in Loughbrickland Church' at RHA, 1826.
Refs: RHA 1826, no. 395

Name: WATSON, WILLIAM JAMES
Building: CO. DOWN, LOUGHBRICKLAND, CHURCH OF ST MELLAN (CI, AGHADERG PARISH)
Date: 1876-78
Nature: Church reopened, 1 Jan 1878, after extensive improvements and enlargement. (addition of chancel, replacement of plaster ceiling with pitch-pine timber roof, new bench ends, font, tiling &c.). Contractor: Whelan & Watson, Newry. Cost nearly £700. Caen stone font presented by Dean's daughters.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 227, 1 Feb 1878, 45;  IB 20, 15 Jan 1878, 29-30; Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 161.

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, LOUGHBRICKLAND, CHURCH OF ST MELLAN (CI, AGHADERG PARISH)
Date: 1883
Nature: New pulpit. ‘The structure, which is of chaste design and artistic finish, is composed of Caen stone, richly
carved and tastefully decorated with polished Galway, Cork andserpentine marbles, and of octagonal shape.’ Gift of Rev. J.D.Parker, LLD.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 25, no. 164, 24 Feb 1883, 162.

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DOWN, LOUGHBRICKLAND, CHURCH OF ST MELLAN (CI, AGHADERG PARISH)
Date: 1893
Nature: Church reopened 18 Nov 1893 after repairs and improvements. Spire repaired. Interior redecorated using 'delicate tints ornamented with stencil patterns in keeping with the architectural features of the edifice'. Hot water heating has replaced stove, and duplex lights suspended from roof have replaced candles.
Refs: IB 35, 1 Dec 1893, 273