Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE

Name: ATKINS, WILLIAM
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1849
Nature: According to Attwood after purchase of Holly Park for school, WA was the executant architect 'who carried out the additions and alterations following the design of Mr P.C. Hardwick as nearly as possible'
Refs: Photocopies of proposals for new quadrangle by WA (originals formerly in Scott's office) in IAA, RP.D.108.3; Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 39-40; Jeremy Williams, 'William Atkins 1812-1887, a forgotten Cork Pre-Raphelite' in A. Bernelle (ed.), Decantations: a tribute to Maurice Craig (1992), 248

Name: HARDWICK, PHILIP CHARLES #
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1849;1852
Nature: Additions, including old chapel, hall and cloister. Builder: Moyers, Dublin
Refs: Undated bird's eye view and block plan. incr. on verso 'College St Columba Ireland partly executed/P.C. Hardwick in Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA drawings collection, PA138/4, see Catalogue of the Drawings of the Royal Institute of British Architects G-K (1973), 88, and British Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/9XUA9hxk2W/MAIN_CAT/274450013/13 (last visited Apr 2009) (this is probably the same view which appears as Plate 31 in Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 15 (Sep 1852), with short description on p. 281);  another signed, undated design for proposed scheme at St Columba's; photocopy of drawing of section through dormitory probably by Hardwick in IAA, RP.D.108.3; RA 1852, no. 1175; B 10, 1 May,9 Oct 1852, 289,642;  Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 39,45-47(illus.)

Name: MCCURDY, JOHN
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1862
Nature: Addition of new dormitory above dining hall. Contractor: Gahan.
Refs: DB 4, 15 Jun 1862, 155; for description see Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 49-50

Name: MCCURDY, JOHN
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1866
Nature: Cricket pavilion. Cost: £220.
Refs: Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 57

Name: MCCURDY & MITCHELL
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1874-1875
Nature: New school room, forming fourth side of quadrangle. Contractor: William Harpur, Blackrock. Entire cost amounts to about £1800. Opened, Dec 1875.  Destroyed by fire, 1896.
Refs: IB 17, 15 Dec 1875, 351;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 17, no. 199, 23 Dec 1875, 306.  Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 51,52

Name: BUTTERFIELD, WILLIAM #
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1875-1880
Nature: New chapel. Designs in course of preparation, Dec 1875.Work began early Jul 1879  Cornerstone laid 1 Oct 1879. WB visits site, Mar 1880, when over £5000 already devoted to building. Dedicated to St Mark 1 Sep 1880. Cost about £7,000. Stained-glass windows designed by architect.
Refs: IB 17, 15 Dec 1875, 351; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 17, no. 199, 23 Dec 1875, 306;  21, no. 248, 1 Nov 1879, 712; 22, no. 12, 20 Mar 1880, 246;  Irish Times, 2 Sep 1880, 6;   B 39, 11 Sep 1880, 341; Architect 24, 4 Sep 1880, 158; ; Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 55.

Name: FULLER, JAMES FRANKLIN
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1895-96
Nature: New wing on western side of New Schoolroom. Completed May 1896. Officially opened 23 Sep 1896. Contractor: A.P. Sharp, Great Brunswick St. Damaged by fire dec 1896.
Refs: Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 51-52

Name: ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1897-98
Nature: Restoration of south end of cloisters, New Schoolroom and New Wing (Cadogan Wing) after fire of Dec 1896. Opened by Earl Cadogan, 17 May 1898.
Refs: IB 45, 24 Sep 1903, 1988; Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 52-53

Name: PURSER, SARAH HENRIETTA *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1904;1912
Nature: Windows, 'The Good Shepherd', 1904 window painted by Michael Healy, 1912 window painted by Ethel Rhind.
Refs: Bowe, Caron & Wynne, Gazetteer of Irish Stained Glass(1988), 5; John O'Grady, The Life and Work of Sarah Purser(1996), 247,256

Name: RHIND, ETHEL *
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1912;1921
Nature: In college chapel. Stained glass window, 'The Good Shepherd', 1912, designed by Srah Purser and painted by ER. Opus sectile panel, 'The risen Christ', 1921
Refs: Nicola Gordon Bowe, David Caron & Michael Wynne, Gazetteer of Irish Stained Glass (1988), 52

Name: ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1921
Nature: War memorial in form of Celtic cross of Ballyknockan granite almost 16 ft high, tablet in chapel and terracing of slope between cloisters and schoolroom. Dedicated St Columba's Day, 1921, by Bishop of Derry.
Refs: IB 63, 9 Apr 1921, 230; Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 53-54(illus.)

Name: ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1931
Nature: Masters' lavatory & bathroom.
Refs: Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 61

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1934?
Nature: Proposed design for masters' (or master's?) house submitted to Dublin Board of Public Health, 1934?
Refs: Fingal County Council, Public Health Housing Collection, no. 1289

Name: ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD
Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1936
Nature: Founder's Building (new classroom block). Contractor: G. & T. Crampton.
Refs: Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 122(illus.).