Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH, OLD)

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH, OLD)
Date: 1718p-1725
Nature: New church, consecreated 8 Aug 1725. Steeple added 1736; wooden spire added 1756.
Refs: Clergy of Down & Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 236

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH, OLD)
Date: 1725;1829-32
Nature: '…large whinstone building, corniced with cut stone. The south west gable end (in which is the principal entrance) is handsome and entirely composed of cut stone'. Gothic windows. Tower and wooden spire with bell by John Ruddell, 1794. Plain interior oak cornice, small gallery, 'neatly carved' pulpit.
Refs: Memoir by Thomas McIlroy, 11 Oct 1837, with plan of church, in RIA, OS memoirs, Box 18 (see also Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 1: Parishes of Co. Armagh, 1835-9, 113-4);

Name: FARRELL, WILLIAM
Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH, OLD)
Date: 1829-1832
Nature: Addition of N aisle.
Refs: Clergy of Down & Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 236