Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)

Name: HALFPENNY, WILLIAM #
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1739
Nature: Signed and dated survey plan and unexecuted designs for Palladian vernacular replacement in RIBA drawings collection; other drawings in NLI.
Refs: Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects G-K (1973), 82-3; John Harris, The Palladians (RIBA Drawings Series, 1982), 99(illus.); for drawings (3 signed) in NLI, see Rosalind M. Elmes, National Library of Ireland: Catalogue of Irish topographical prints and original drawings (2nd ed., 1975), 138 (no. 1977TX);  Terry Friedman, 'William Halfpenny's designs for an 'Early Christian' cathedral at Waterford'. Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 1 (1998), 8-33.

Name: NOST, JOHN (VAN) [2]*
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1752p
Nature: Monument to Mrs Susanna Mason (d.1752).
Refs: W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, II, 487; Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 86

Name: NOST, JOHN (VAN) [2]*
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1770
Nature: Monument to Nicholas and John Fitzgerald.
Refs: W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 486; Homan Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 59(illus.),86

Name: ROBERTS, JOHN [1]
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1774
Nature: New Classical cathedral. JR's design chosen 1774. JR also builder of cathedral. Steeple raised post 1783. Building not finished until at least 1792. For Richard Chenevix, Bishop of Waterford
Refs: Mark Girouard, 'The reign of the building families: City of Waterford, Ireland - II', Country Life 141, 15 Dec 1966, 1627(illus.);  Roger Stalley, 'Reconstructions of the Gothic past:  the lost cathedral of Waterford', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 16 (2013), 94-99 (illus.);  exterior and interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 338. 

Name: ROBERTSON, WILLIAM
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1816
Nature: Payments totalling £350 to WR for repairs after fire of 1815 (which destroyed ceiling, gallery & organ).
Refs: Waterford Cathedral Economy Fund Books in Cathedral  (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44, citing information from John Redmill, 1993)

Name: REEVES & SON *#
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1851p
Nature: Monument to General Paul Anderson (d. 1851).
Refs: Ingrid Roscoe, ed., A Biographical Dictionary of Sculptors in Britain 1660-1851 (Yale University Press, 2009), 1028.

Name: FULLER, JAMES FRANKLIN
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1874-1875;1877;1878
Nature: Removal and rebuilding of spire, 1874-75; new stone pulpit and desk, chancel screen, restoration of choir arch commissioned by Duke of Devonshire, 1877; proposed new roof?, 1878. Spire completed, 1880.
Refs: Undated fundraising(?) pamphlet, with illustration of proposed spire; transverse section possibly by JJF showing proposed new roof, inscr. on verso 'Cathedral & Mr Fullar' and 'Cathedral June 1878', with rough sketches on same sheet perhaps in hand of Thomas Drew (photographs in IAA, negs. C8/839,840); IB 16, 1 Aug 1874, 219; 20, 1 Dec1878, 353;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 17, no. 195, 21 Aug 1875, 182; no. 197, 22 Aug 1875, 243; 18, no. 202, 23 Mar 1876, 84; 19, no. 213, 1 Jan 1877, 21; 22, no. 10, 6 Mar 1880, 201.

Name: DREW, THOMAS (SIR)
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1889-91
Nature: Extensive improvements (including removal of galleries, new choir fittings, pulpit, lectern, addition of architraves & mullions to windows, bulding up of lower windows) executed by A.P. Sharp. Chancel floor design by R.C. Orpen. Reopened 26 Jun 1891.
Refs: The Cathedral Church of the Blessed Trinity, Waterford. A Report by Thomas Drew RHA, 1885 (Spottiswoode & Co., 1885); drawings exh. at RHA 1889, no. 407; 1901, no. 313; IB 31, 1 Nov 1889, 267; 33, 1 Jan,15 Jul 1891, 11,167; 34, 1 Feb 1892, 29(illus.),31; 54, 17 Feb,2 Mar 1912, 98(illus.),112,131; B 91, 11 Jul 1891, 34; Architect 34, 25 Sep,2 Oct 1885, 193(illus.),203-4; 41, 17 May 1889, 286; 46, 31 Jul 1891, supplement, 18-19.

Name: CHILD, ALFRED ERNEST *
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1929-30
Nature: 2-light window (Sorrow & Joy)
Refs: Nicola Gordon Bowe, David Caron & Michael Wynne, Gazetteer of Irish Stained Glass (Irish Academic Press, 1988), 76

Name: SIBTHORPE, HENRY & SON *
Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Proposed decorative scheme.
Refs: Drawing in IAA, Sibthorpe Collection Acc. 78/22.A11