Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. CLARE, KILKEE, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI, KILFIERAGH PARISH)

Name: PAIN, JAMES
Building: CO. CLARE, KILKEE, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI, KILFIERAGH PARISH)
Date: 1840-41
Nature: New church. 4-bay rectangular plan, with traceried W and E windows. In use 1841 but not consecrated until 1843.
Refs: Drawing, signed and dated Mar 1840, in RCB Library, portfolio 19 (Church described as 'quite recently built' in Parliamentary Gazetteer (1844)); Adrian Hewson, ed., Inspiring Stones: a history of the Church of Ireland Dioceses of Limerick, Ardfert, Aghadoe, Killaloe, Kilfenora, Clonfert, Kilmacduagh & Emly (1995), 101(illus.);  exterior illus. in Clergy of Killaloe, Kilfenora, Clonfert and Kilmacduagh (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2010), 89.

Name: WELLAND, JOSEPH
Building: CO. CLARE, KILKEE, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI, KILFIERAGH PARISH)
Date: 1864
Nature: Proposed addition of W gallery.
Refs: Drawing signed 'J. Welland' and dated 1863[?] in RCB Library, portfolio 19; General Advertiser, 23 Apr 1864

Name: UNKNOWN ARCHITECT
Building: CO. CLARE, KILKEE, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI, KILFIERAGH PARISH)
Date: 1880
Nature: Church reopened on Trinity Sunday after repairs and alterations. Centre aisle opened; new pews; old E window removed and replaced with one of chaste design in rolled cathedral glass; chancel enlarged and choir brought within included space; handsome lectern presented by Mrs bagot placed on raised chancel step.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 23, 5 Jun 1880, 448