Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, PERY SQUARE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (CI)

Name: PAIN, JAMES
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, PERY SQUARE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (CI)
Date: 1838-1844
Nature: Proposed new Gothic church, with tower and spire. With G.R. Pain. Built in simpler form than original design and without spire. Opened 8 Dec 1844. Contractor: William Wallace.
Refs: Signed, undated perspective view in collection of Knight of Glin (photograph in IAA); David Lee, 'James and George Pain - Gothic Architects' in David Lee & Christine Gonzalez, eds., Georgian Limerick 1714-1845, II (Limerick Civic Trust, 2000), 233,251; David Lee & Debbie Jacobs, James Pain, architect (Limerick Civic Trust, 2005), 334-337(illus.),248-350(illus.); illus. in Adrian Hewson, ed., Inspiring Stones: a history of the Church of Ireland Dioceses of Limerick, Ardfert, Aghadoe, Killaloe, Kilfenora, Clonfert, Kilmacduagh & Emly (1995), 136-139;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 388.

Name: FOGERTY, JOSEPH, & SON
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, PERY SQUARE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (CI)
Date: 1877-78
Nature: Improvements, including adding extra stage to tower (not executed?), new forecourt (not executed?), and new chancel incorporating E window designed by James Pain removed from St Mary's Cathedral and reduced in size. Encaustic tiling on chancel floor. Handsome corona presented by Mr Bannatyne, brass lectern by Mr Smallman, oak pulpit by Mr Rivington.  Re-opened 18 Nov 1877. Cost about £200. Architect gave services free. New entrance opened on N side and handsome parapet with railing erected to enclose church site, stained glass by Mayer & Co. representing ten Parables placed in E window, 1878.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 220, Jul 1877, 221; no. 225, 1 Dec 1877, 386; 20, no. 236, 1 Nov 1878, 315;  IB 19, 1 Dec 1877, 357; 20, no. 237, 1 Dec 1878, 361.

Name: MAYER & CO. *#
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, PERY SQUARE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (CI)
Date: 1878
Nature: Stained glass for E window, installed 1878.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 237, 1 Dec 1878, 361;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3135/ (last visited, Dec 2015).

Name: FOGERTY, JOSEPH, & SON
Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, PERY SQUARE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (CI)
Date: 1883
Nature: Mural monument 'of ornate character' in memory of Mrs Purdon Wilkinson. Carried out by C.W. Harrison, Dublin, to design by JF & Son.
Refs: IB 25, 15 Oct 1883, 330