Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST LURAN (CI, DERRYLORAN PARISH)

Name: HARGRAVE, JOHN
Building: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST LURAN (CI, DERRYLORAN PARISH)
Date: 1816
Nature: Prepares proposal for new church.
Refs: Plans and estimates for proposed new church in PRONI, DIO/4/22/7/12

Name: NASH, JOHN
Building: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST LURAN (CI, DERRYLORAN PARISH)
Date: 1822
Nature: New church 'built of hewn freestone from a design by Mr Nash, in the early English style of architecture' (Lewis). Cost: £2769.4s.7½d. Consecrated 8 Aug 1822. (All but west end rebuilt 1859-1861).
Refs: S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 395; J.B. Leslie, Armagh Clergy and Parishes (1911), 214; R.W. Oram & P.J. Rankin, Historic Buildings in…Dungannon & Cookstown (UAHS, 1971), 21(illus.), 29 (No. 49); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 215; Michael Mansbridge, John Nash (1991), 241(illus.) ;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 122.

Name: WELLAND, JOSEPH
Building: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST LURAN (CI, DERRYLORAN PARISH)
Date: 1859-1861
Nature: Enlargement 'to designs by the architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners' retaining only tower, spire and westernmost bay of nave of earlier church. Contractor: Richard Cherry, Loughgall. Consecrated, 19 Dec 1861.
Refs: Unsigned, undated design for enlargement retaining on W end of original church in RCB Library, portfolio 2A; also ground plan, S elevation (3 copies?) signed 'J. Welland & Son' in RCB Library, MS 139 (C:\WP51\ARCH); DB 1, 1 Jul 1859, 89;  Armagh Guardian, 7 Oct 1859;  R.W. Oram & P.J. Rankin, Historic Buildings in…Dungannon & Cookstown (UAHS, 1971), 27(illus.),29(No. 49);  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 215.

Name: FULLERTON, JOHN HENRY
Building: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST LURAN (CI, DERRYLORAN PARISH)
Date: 1887
Nature: Imps. including large addition to chancel & new organ. Contractor: James Burnet, Cookstown.
Refs: IB 29, 1 Feb 1887, 46