Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Selected: CO. LAOIS, HEYWOOD

Name: GANDON, JAMES
Building: CO. LAOIS, HEYWOOD
Date: 1771a
Nature: New house, designed for and in collaboration with Michael Frederick Trench.
Refs: Design exh. by S. White at Society of Artists, London, 1771; See E. McParland, James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (1985), 122,205(illus.)

Name: TRENCH, MICHAEL FREDERICK
Building: CO. LAOIS, HEYWOOD
Date: 1773
Nature: New house, apparently designed by MFT for himself in collaboration with James Gandon
Refs: E. McParland, James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (1985), 122(illus.), 205;  see also Patricia Friel, Frederick Trench, 1746-1836 and Heywood, Queen's County: The Creation of a Romantic Landscape (Irish Academic Press, 2000).


Name: MCCURDY, JOHN
Building: CO. LAOIS, HEYWOOD
Date: 1865
Nature: Proposed alts. and mausoleum.
Refs: Plans, elevations, sections, 1865, in IAA, McCurdy & Mitchell Collection, 82/49.91

Name: DREW, THOMAS (SIR)
Building: CO. LAOIS, HEYWOOD
Date: 1875
Nature: New East wing. £1000.
Refs: IAA, PKS A06 (May 1875) (J. Williams, A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 253, gives date of TD's additions as 1896.)

Name: LUTYENS, EDWIN LANDSEER #
Building: CO. LAOIS, HEYWOOD
Date: 1906-7
Nature: Gardens, for Sir E. Hucheson Poe, Bt.  Include garden pavilion incorporating 10 salvaged capitals from Commons Chamber of Irish House of Commons, College Green.
Refs: Drawings in Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA Drawings Collection PB1503/LUT[93](1-8), see RIBA Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/EsEr2m5O9s/MAIN_CAT/118050028/13 (last visited May 2009), and Margaret Richardson, Catalogue of the Drawings collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: Edwin Lutyens (1973), 23;  Country Life 45, 4,11 Jan 1919, 16,42;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 385n.

Name: HUGHES, JOHN [2]*
Building: CO. LAOIS, HEYWOOD
Date: 1913
Nature: Bronze fountain group of woman and young boy.  Bronze founder: René Fulda, Paris..
Refs: Alan Denson, John Hughes, Sculptor 1865-1941 (Kendal, 1969), 417-8, Pls. 127-139  (copy in IAA, Acc. 2005/055);  S. Breathnach Lynch, 'John Hughes: the Italian connection', Irish Arts Review Yearbook 10 (1994), 195,200(illus.)

Name: CAMBI, CARLO *#
Building: CO. LAOIS, HEYWOOD
Date: ?
Nature: Woodwork in library in new E. wing attr. to Cambi by Williams and McCarthy.
Refs: J. Williams, A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 253; Patricia McCarthy, 'From Torpedo Boat to Temples of Culture: Carlo Cambi's Route to Ireland', Irish Arts Review Yearbook 18 (2002), 76