Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of Dublin, active in the 1860s and 1870s. George Carolin may be the person of the same name who was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 28 March 1844(1) and the 'G. Carolin' whose qualification paper was read at the general meeting of the RIAI on 19 March 1853.(2) If he can safely be identified as the same person as George Orson Carolin, he had retired from business by 1883, became a JP and lived on until at least 1907.

Addresses: 60 Gardiner Street Lower, 1853 (as George Orson Carolin, at same address as JOHN CAROLIN JOHN CAROLIN ); 41 Gardiner Street Lower, 1857; 17 Talbot Street, 1863; 17 Talbot Street and Beresford Place Lower, 1874 and 1875; Ivanhoe, Lansdowne Rd, (and the Constitutional Club, London), 1883-1896; Iveragh, Shelbourne Road (and the Constitutional Club, London), 1900-1907.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the Post Office and Thom's directories.

(1) MS. transcript of admissions to Royal Dublin Society School of Architectural Drawing in IAA.
(2) RIAI minutes of general meeting, 19 Mar 1853, 116.


2 work entries listed in chronological order for CAROLIN, GEORGE *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 012 (CITY DRUG HALL)
Date: 1865
Nature: GC carries out design of Joseph Maguire
Refs: DB 7, 1 Jan 1865, 9

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOLESWORTH STREET, NO. 039-40 (MOLESWORTH HALL
Date: 1866-7
Nature: GC builds T.N. Deane's design
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Jun 1866, p.94v); IB 9, 15 May 1867, 125