Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architectural partnership of Belfast and Dublin, formed some time between September 1868 and March 1869 between JOHN O'NEILL  JOHN O'NEILL of Belfast and his assistant WILLIAM HENRY BYRNE WILLIAM HENRY BYRNE . The partners opened a Dublin branch office in the early 1870s. Their first appearance in the Dublin directories is in 1874, with an address at 52 Dame Street. Byrne moved to Dublin to take charge of the new office, while O'Neill continued to be based in Belfast. The partnership came to an end with O'Neill's death on 1 May 1883. Pupils and assistants included WILLIAM JOHN FENNELL  WILLIAM JOHN FENNELL and, probably, ALEXANDER WILLIAM ROBINSON. ALEXANDER WILLIAM ROBINSON. (1)  They were appointed architects and surveyors to the Irish General Post Office Clerks' Building Society at the society's first meeting in June 1878.(2) 

Addresses: 65 Upper Arthur Street, Belfast, and 52 Dame Street, Dublin.

See WORKS.



References



(1) The drawings of Hibernian Bank, Monaghan, in IB 17, 1 Sep 1875, and of Laurence Egan's premises, Dublin, in IB 18, 15 Mar 1876, are both initialled AWR.
(2) Irish Times, 4 Jun 1878.


64 work entries listed in chronological order for O'NEILL & BYRNE


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DOWN, DOWNPATRICK, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1868-72
Nature: New church on site of old chapel, for Fr. Patrick O'Kane. FS laid 13 Mar 1868. Dedicated 30 Jun 1872.
Refs: Architect 8, 6 Jul 1872, 16; J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down & Connor (1878), ?; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 57,143-5,ill.31,67,72,73

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLYMONEY, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1869
Nature: -
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 233

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, VICTORIA STREET, NO. 080 (TOWN HALL & MUNICIPAL OFFICES)
Date: 1869
Nature: Competition entrants, placed 3rd.
Refs: IB 11, 15 Apr 1869, 89

Building: CO. ANTRIM, PORTGLENONE, BALLYMENA ROAD, CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN IMMACULATE (RC)
Date: 1869-1870
Nature: Tower & spire. Malicious injury done to building while in course of erection, Nov 1870. John Ross, builder, awarded £174 in damages. Church dedicated 10? Sep 1871.
Refs: Drawing(s) for tower and spire, 1869, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; IB 13, 1 Jun,15 Sep 1871, 149,245; W.D. Girvan & A. Rowan, Historic Buildings…in West Antrim (UAHS, 1970), 25 (no. 76); J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 145-8

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLARENDON STREET, CHURCH OF ST TERESA (RC, DISCALCED CARMELITES)
Date: 1869-1877
Nature: New addition comprising transept, library, 4 sitting rooms, hall & staircase, nearing completion. Contractor: Meade & Son, Gt Brunswick St. Figures in niches and on gable by Neill and Pearce (i.e. O'Neill & Pearse). Carving on front by De Groot. Glass in rose window by Earley & Powell, Camden St. (According to Casey, O'N & B also contributed to embellishment of chancel in 1880s-90s.)
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; IB 19, 1 Jan 1877, 12(illus.); J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 42,170-172;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 473.

Building: CO. DONEGAL, CLAR, CHURCH OF ST AGATHA (RC)
Date: 1869-71
Nature: New Gothic church. Dedicated 21 May 1871. Contractor: Colhoun, Derry. Clerk of Works: John Gallagher, Killybegs.
Refs: Drawings, 1869, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 243; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 148-50,fig.8

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CRUMLIN ROAD (ARDOYNE), HOLY CROSS CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1869a
Nature: Temporary church for Passionist Fathers. Dedicated 10 Jan 1869. Preacher Rev. Alphonsus O'Neill, brother of John O'Neill.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 208,ill.30

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, WELLINGTON PLACE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1870-1875
Nature: New church in 13th century Gothic style. Contractor: James Hughes, Charlemont. Clerk of Works: James Harvey (who completed church when Hughes ran into financial difficulties).
Refs: IB 9, 15 Mar 1867, 78; 13, 1 Aug 1871, 202; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 278; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 153-156,fig. 17; Simon Walker, Historic Ulster Churches (Institute of Irish Studies, 2000), 124(illus.);  Richard W. Chambers, St Patrick's Church, Castle Archdale: a centenary celebration (2008),83.

Building: CO. DERRY, ALTINURE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1870-71
Nature: Begun May 1870. Dedicated 22 Oct 1871. Cost: £4,000. Erected 'mainly through the exertion of Rev. Patrick Loughrey, the talented and energetic young curate of Banagher'. . Contractor: McClay, Strabane.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 150-152,fig. 9,ill.30a

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FALLS ROAD, ST MARY'S DOMINICAN CONVENT
Date: 1870a
Nature: New convent.
Refs: J. O'Laverty, History of the Diocese of Down & Connor II (1880), 441; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 75-6,205-8,figs. 26,27

Building: CO. DONEGAL, DRUNG (MOVILLE), CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (RC)
Date: 1871a
Nature: New hall church, dedicated 5 Oct 1871. Contractor: Gallagher & Son, Derry.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 477-8 (where attribution to Timothy Hevey is suggested); J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 152-3

Building: CO. ANTRIM, PLAINS (RASHARKIN), CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (RC)
Date: 1872
Nature: For Rev. Hugh McCann. Dedicated on St Columba's Day, 1872. Sermon preached by Fr. Alphonsus O'Neill, brother of John O'Neill.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 156-7,fig. 11.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, PORTGLENONE, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1872
Nature: New school.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 233

Building: CO. DONEGAL, CROSSROADS (KILLYGORDON), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1872-1875
Nature: New church in Early and Middle Gothic style with high pitched roof, bull's eye quatrefoil clerestory and slender spire.  for Rev. Edward Boyle.. FS laid 12 Apr 1872. Dedicated 25 Apr 1875. Belfry and spire added 1896.
Refs: Design seen 1975ca in W.H. Byrne drawings collection ; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 333, Pl. 123; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 57,159-161,fig. 14

Building: CO. DERRY, LAVEY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1872-73
Nature: New church, for Rev. James McLaughlin. FS laid 26 May 1872. Dedicated 26 May 1873. Contractor: G. Tipping, Castledawson.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 157-9,fig.12

Building: CO. MEATH, RATHFEIGH, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1872-744
Nature: New church in Early English style. FS laid 8 Dec 1872. Church dedicated, 1874. Cost:£2,000.
Refs: Rev. J. Brady, A Short history of the parishes of the diocese of Meath, 1867-1944, 60; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 150

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL STREET, ST PATRICK'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1874
Nature: Proposed (competition?) design published in IB.
Refs: IB 16, 1 May 1874, 127(illus.)

Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYCRANBEG, CHURCH OF MOUNT ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1874-1876
Nature: New church, for Rev. John McAuley. Replaced one of 1777 which became a mortuary chapel. FS laid 19 Apr 1874. Dedicated 8 Oct 1876. Contractor: Torney, Downpatrick.
Refs: James O’Laverty, An historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, Ancient and Modern (1878), ?; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 164-166,fig. 19

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BERKELEY STREET, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1874-1880
Nature: New church in Middle Pointed style. FS laid 5 Sep 1874 by Cardinal Cullen. Contractors: Cormack, Talbot St, and Richard Toole.  
Refs: Drawings, 1874 & 1879, in W.H. Byrne & Son collection; Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; IB 16, 15 Sep 1874, 254(illus.); 22, 15 Apr 1880, 117; RHA 1877, no. 325 (interior view);  Irish Times, 20 Apr 1880, 3;  J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 42,166-168, fig. 18, illus.32;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 276. 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD, ST MARY'S ASYLUM FOR THE FEMALE BLIND
Date: 1874-84
Nature: Adds. comprising gate lodge, 1874, chapel, 1875-78, schoolroom and dormitory block, 1875, new entrance between chapel and Merrion Castle, 1877, additional dormitory, 1878. for Irish Sisters of Charity.
Refs: Drawings, 1875-78, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 221-222

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, CHURCH SQUARE, HIBERNIAN BANK
Date: 1875
Nature: New bank in course of erection. Contractor: P. Brodigan.
Refs: Notes & queries re new bank, 1875, in IAA, PKS B07/04; IB 17, 1 Sep 1875, 239(illus.); J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 43,62,80,230,ill.43;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 474.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLYMONEY, CHURCH OF SS MARY & PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1875
Nature: New church in Early Pointed Gothic style, for Father John McErlane. Nave, aisles, south porch, sacristy, & tower with spire, standing 139 ft high.. FS laid 17 Mar 1875.
Refs: IB 17, 1 Apr 1875, 98; J. O'Laverty, History of the Diocese of Down and Connor IV (18??), ?; (J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 168-70,fig. 13

Building: CO. ANTRIM, GLENARM, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1875a
Nature: New Early Gothic church, for Rev. Joseph Delahunty. Dedicated 30 May 1875, when seromon preached by Rev. Alphonsus O'Neill, brother of John O'Neill. Contractor: A. McNeill, Glenarm.
Refs: J. O'Laverty, History of the Diocese of Down & Connor IV (188?), ?; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 161-163,fig. 15

Building: CO. ANTRIM, RASHARKIN, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1875p
Nature: Tracey thinks it 'likely' that O'N & B were the architects. For Rev. Hugh McCann.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 141

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KING STREET NORTH, NO. 087-88 (LAURENCE EGAN)
Date: 1876
Nature: New grocery premises for Laurence Egan. Contractor: James Comerford, N King St
Refs: IB 18, 15 Mar 1876, 77,83(illus.); J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 43,231-2,ill.42

Building: CO. TYRONE, CASTLEDERG, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1876a
Nature: New cruciform Gothic church, for Rev. James Connolly and his 2 assistants. Built by direct labour, 'the work being superintended by the clergymen themselves and the people assisting...in drawing stones, sand, lime, etc.'. Dedicated 8 Oct 1876. Tower and spire added 1886-8
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 182; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 58,163-4, fig. 16,ill.36

Building: CO. DONEGAL, FALCARRAGH, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1877
Nature: New school.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 177-179,232-3

Building: CO. DONEGAL, FALCARRAGH, CHURCH OF ST FINIAN (RC)
Date: 1877
Nature: New church, with proposed(?) schools & presbytery.
Refs: IB 19, 1 Mar 1877, 68(illus.); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 291; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 177-179,ill.35a

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CRUMLIN ROAD (ARDOYNE), HOLY CROSS MONASTERY
Date: 1877-1881
Nature: New Romanesque monastery for Passionist Fathers. FS laid 16 Jul 1877. Intended quadrangle unfinished.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 76-7,208-211

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, BISHOP ST WITHOUT, ST COLUMB'S COLLEGE
Date: 1877-79
Nature: Adaptation of and addition of S wing to existing Casino.
Refs: Drawings, 1877 formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 390-391; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 79,185-7

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BROOKVALE ROAD (DONNYBROOK), ST MARY MAGDALEN ASYLUM
Date: 1877-8;1881
Nature: Alterations; high altar in chapel
Refs: Drawings, 1877-8,1881, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son, not transferred to IAA.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BROOKVALE ROAD (DONNYBROOK), ST MARY MAGDALEN ASYLUM
Date: 1877;1882
Nature: Adds. & other works at laundry. For Irish Sisters of Charity. Contractor: Richard Toole.
Refs: Contract drawings, 11 Jun 1877 and Feb 1882, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son not transferred to IAA; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 228

Building: CO. MEATH, NAVAN, HIBERNIAN BANK
Date: 1878
Nature: New bank office and manager's house. Advertisement for tenders, 25 Jul  1878.
Refs: IAA, PKS B06a/62;  Irish Times, 25 Jul 1878

Building: CO. DOWN, KILKEEL, CHURCH OF ST COLMAN (RC)
Date: 1878
Nature: New church in Early Pointed Gothic style, for Rev. George Maguire.
Refs: J. O'Laverty, History of the Diocese of Down and Connor (1878), I, ?; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 58-9,173-175,fig. 21,ill.35

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, NO. 012-13 (HIBERNIAN BANK)
Date: 1878
Nature: Former 'gin palace' of W.G. Mooney 'suitably remodelled' to form new branch bank. Opened Summer 1878. Contractor: John Brodigan, Grantham St. Elaborately carved doorway executed by C.W. Harrison.
Refs: IB 20, 1 Jul 1878, 188; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 43,80,229,ill.44

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S HILL, PRESENTATION CONVENT
Date: 1878
Nature: New convent chapel replacing one of 1800.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 92.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHMINES ROAD LOWER, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF REFUGE (RC)
Date: 1878--1885
Nature: W front., with Portland stone portico, for Dr William Meagher. Contractors: Meade & Son. Clerk of works: Michael Smith ('highly intelligent').  Work started Mar 1878. Portico completed, 1881. Further works (wings?), 1881-85.
Refs: Drawings, 1878,1883, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son;  Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; Irish Times, 12 Jun 1880, 6;  IB 25, 15 Sep,1 Oct 1883, 284(illus.),311; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 43,193-4,ill.41;  History of Rathmines Parish, http://www.rathminesparish.ie/about-us/parish-history (last visited, Feb 2013);  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 113-115(illus.)


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATOATH ROAD (CABRA), ST MARY'S ASYLUM FOR THE DEAF & BLIND
Date: 1878-79
Nature: Additions comprising 3-storey L-shaped block and attached single block arranged round small court. FS laid 17 Apr 1879. Bulders: Mead & Son.
Refs: Drawings, 1878, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 83-4,220-221

Building: CO. MEATH, DUNBOYNE, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1878-79.
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new parochial house for the Rev. Peter Molloy, PP. Tenders invited for erecting 'enclosed wall' round same, Mar 1879.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 22,24-27 Apr,13,15,17,26 May 1878;  Irish Times, 6 Mar 1879.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: 1878-80
Nature: New Romanesque chapel. Opened 29 Aug 1880. For Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge. Contractor: Richard Toole, Dorset St, Dublin. High altar executed by Earley & Powell, Camden St. Altar railing by James Pearse, Great Brunswick St..
Refs: 9 drawings dated Oct 1878-Jan 1879 formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; IAA, PKS B06a/68; Architect 24, 4 Sep 1880, 157; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 224-6

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLINTOY, CHURCH OF SS MARY & JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1878a
Nature: New church, for Rev. P. McGorrian. Simple five-bay hall. Dedicated 18 Aug 1878.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 173

Building: ENGLAND, LONDON, BROMPTON ORATORY
Date: 1879
Nature: Competition(?) design, with Alfred Vickers.
Refs: RHA 1879, nos. 315,323

Building: CO. DERRY, GLENULLIN (GARVAGH), CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1879
Nature: New church. Contractor: G.R. Tipping.
Refs: IB 21, 15 Mar 1879, 95; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 305; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 175-7,fig. 20; obituary of G.R. Tipping in unidentified Belfast newspaper, 16 Jul 1919, in newspaper cuttings album from RIAI, now in IAA, Acc. 80/51, p.31

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: 1879
Nature: Extension to Magdalen Asylum consisting of 2 3-storey wings containing dormitories, washing room, ironing room, dining rooms, kitchen, offices, &c.  Also single storey laundry extension? For Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge. Contractor: Richard Toole. FS laid 1 Jun 1879.
Refs: 3 drawings, signed and dated May and June 1879, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; inscription on commemorative trowel presented to Archbishop of Dublin;  Irish Times, 2 Jun 1879;  J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 226-7; B 37, 9 Aug 1879, 898

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SUFFOLK STREET, NO. 003-5 (ROYAL ARCADE HOTEL)
Date: 1879
Nature: Repairs and addition. Legal action between builder and owner.
Refs: IB 21, 15 Jul 1879, 223; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 43

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: 1879-1881
Nature: Additions to St Mary's Asylum and Orphanage. New 3-storey wing. Contractor: Meade & Son. Cornerstone set 17 Apr 1879; opened May 1881. Also single storey laundry extension. For Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge. Contractor: Richard Toole. FS laid 1 Jun 1879.
Refs: 6 drawings, signed and dated May 1879, in W.H. Byrne collection; inscription on commemorative trowel presented to Archibishop of Dublin; B 37, 9 Aug 1879, 898; Architect 25, 28 May 1881, 376; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 226

Building: CO. DONEGAL, BALLYSHANNON, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1879-1883
Nature: FS laid 15 Sep 1879. Building suspended Feb 1881 until Jul 1882. Occupied 2 Apr 1883. Contractor: Matthew McClelland, Derry. Intended chapel and spire not built.
Refs: Drawings, 1879, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; IB 22, 1 Jan 1880, 7(illus.),11; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 128; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 77,214-6,ill.75

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WILLIAM STREET NORTH, CHURCH OF ST AGATHA (RC)
Date: 1879-1892
Nature: New church. £8,000. FS laid on 25 Apr 1880. Contractor: O'Toole. Work ceased 1892.
Refs: Drawings, 1879-80, in W.H. Byrne & Son collection; Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; B 37, 27 Sep,25 Oct 1879, 1090,1181; 39, 2 Oct 1880, 429; IB 21, 1 Oct 1879, 311; 22, 15 Oct 1880, 284; Architect 23, ? ? 1880., ?; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 42,182-185;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),131.

Building: CO. TYRONE, STRABANE, MOUNT ST JOSEPH, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1879-81
Nature: New chapel, for Sisters of Mercy. FS laid on feast day of Sacred Heart, 1879. Consecrated 16 Oct 1881. Contractor:Paul Kane, Bridge St, Strabane.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 494-5; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 216-218.fig. 28,ill.39

Building: CO. DERRY, MAGHERAFELT, CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1879-82
Nature: New church, for Very Rev. Canon Patrick Donnelly, PP.  Tenders invited, Feb 1878; 'in course of erection' in 1879. Cost: £16,000.  Contractor: Matthew McClelland, Derry. Carvings by J. Earley, Dublin.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 6,9,13,16,23.27 Feb,2 Mar1878; IB 21, 1 Jul 1879, 196,204(illus.); W.H. Maitland, History of Magehrafelt (1916), 54-64; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 412-13; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 42,180-182,fig. 22,ill. 40

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLINA, CONVENT OF MERCY, SCHOOL
Date: 1880
Nature: Proposed 2-storey 6-bay block with Gothic ground-floor windows & square window in centre of first floor. For infants.
Refs: Elevation, 1880, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MALAHIDE ROAD, NO. 057 (O'BRIEN INSTITUTE)
Date: 1880
Nature: Entrants in limited competition. Design exh. RHA, 1881..
Refs: IB 22, 1 May 1880, 131; RHA 1881, no. 598

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MILLTOWN ROAD, ST ANNE'S CONVENT
Date: 1880
Nature: New conventual buildings for Irish Sisters of Charity.
Refs: Drawings, 1880, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 211-214

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, O'CONNELL AVENUE, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1880a
Nature: New church dedicated Apr 1880.
Refs: IB 22, 15 Apr 1880, 117

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, BISHOP ST WITHOUT, ST COLUMB'S COLLEGE
Date: 1881
Nature: Gate house in red brick.
Refs: W.S. Ferguson, A.J. Rowan & J.J. Tracey, City of Derry (UAHS, 1970), 39 (no. 87)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NAVAN ROAD (CABRA), ST JOSEPH'S INSTITUTION FOR THE DEAF
Date: 1881
Nature: 3-storey building for 500 pauper children. £10,000.
Refs: IB 23, 1 Jul 1881, 196

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, NO. 007 (DILLON & CO.)
Date: 1881
Nature: New offices at rere.
Refs: IAA, PKS B10/19, A07, p.105v (May 1881)

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLAGHADERREEN, PREMISES (DUFF)
Date: 1881
Nature: Alterations. Tenders invited, Apr 1881.  This property may be Monica Duff, The Square, Ballaghaderreen, q.v.
Refs: Irish Times, 28 Apr 1881, 8.

Building: CO. MEATH, KILTEALE, CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1881-82
Nature: New Gothic church close to old chapel. FS laid 26 May 1881. Rev. Christopher Mullan, curate, was driving force behind project and supervised building by direct labour. Dedicated 19 Sep 1882.
Refs: IB 23, 1 Jun 1881, 170; Architect 25, 4 Jun 1881, 390 J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 44,185-7,fig. 23; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 366

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, WEST STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, NEW)
Date: 1881-82
Nature: O'N & B winners - from among 25 entrants - of competition for new church. French Gothic, with spire. Contractor: John O'Hare, Lr Catherine St, Newry..FS laid 10 Jul 1881. First contract (for addition of tower, porch, baptistery & first two bays of nave) 13 Jun 1882. 2nd contract (for demolition of remaining body of existing church and building 3rd nave bay, crossing transepts and sanctuary, 29 Jul 1891.
Refs: Designs, 1882, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; RHA 1883, no. 551; IB 23, 1 May,1 Jun 1881, 141,175; 24, 1 Jul 1882, 195; Architect 25, 7 May 1881, 330; B 60. ? ? 1881. 685;  Irish Times, 11 Jul 1881, 7;  Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 238-9,pl.131; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 43-4,187-191; George Henry Bassett, Louth County Guide and Directory (1886), 89

Building: CO. MEATH, ASHBOURNE, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1881-86
Nature: New church. Site given 1881. FS laid 22 Jul 1882. Completed 1886 and opened for use 1889.
Refs: Drawings, 1881-2, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; Rev. J. Brady, A Short history of the parishes of the diocese of Meath 1867-1944, ?; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 123-4

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHGAR ROAD, CHURCH OF THE THREE PATRONS (RC)
Date: 1882-3
Nature: 3 side altars, sacristy, porch &c
Refs: Drawings, 1882-3, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, II, 108; Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 43,191-193

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, DUBLIN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Window
Refs: IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc. 2006/142

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FALLS ROAD, ST MARY'S NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: ?
Nature: 2-storey.
Refs: J.J. Tracey, 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883', unpublished thesis presented as part of Master of Architecture degree course, Queen's University, Belfast, 1987, 84

Author Title Date Details
Tracey, J.j. 'A dissertation on the buildings of John O'Neill and O'Neill and Byrne, architects, 1862-1883' 1987 Thesis presented at Queen's University, Belfast, Department of Architecture, May 1987, as part of Master of Architecture degree course..