Selected: BYRNE, PATRICK


Born: 1782/3
Died: 1864


Architect, of Dublin. Patrick Byrne, son of John Byrne, who was born in 1782 or 1783,(1) appears to have studied under HENRY AARON BAKER  HENRY AARON BAKER at the Dublin Society's Schools, where a Patrick Byrne was admitted on 4 February 1796 and won a second-class premium in 1797 and a first-class premium in 1798.(2) In 1813 he exhibited a 'View of the East Portico of the National Bank and part of Trinity College, Dublin' and a 'Design for a Green House' at the Society of Artists of the City of Dublin (nos. 10 and 163), and in 1819 an 'elevation of a Lodge designed for the Country residence of a small Family' and a 'S.E. View of the Custom-house, Dublin' at the Artists of Ireland, Dublin (nos. 95 and 98).(3) Two drawings by him of St Patrick's Cathedral were engraved for W. Monck Mason's History and Antiquities of the Collegiate and Cathedral Church of St Patrick (1820) and another engraving of the Archbishop's Palace at Tallaght, which Monck Mason published in 1818, was based on a sketch by him.(4)

From 1820 until 1848 Byrne worked, first as measurer and then as architect, for the Wide Streets Commissioners;(5) this may account for his being referred to as City Architect by both The Builder and the Dublin Builder.(6) From 1847 until 1851 he was architect to the Trustees of the Royal Exchange.(7)

Byrne died on 10 January 1864 at the age of eighty-one,(8) his latter years having been 'embittered by painful pecuniary difficulties'.(9) He was buried in the family plot at Glasnevin cemetery on 11 January with Mary Byrne, presumably his wife, who had died in 1856 aged seventy-two,(10) and with his son and assistant, JOHN F. BYRNE [4] JOHN F. BYRNE [4] , who had predeceased him by some nine months.(11) HUGH BYRNE  HUGH BYRNE was another son and PATRICK JAMES BYRNE  PATRICK JAMES BYRNE was a grandson. Patrick Byrne's library 'consisting of a beautiful and expensive Collection of the best Works on Architecture and Civil Engineering' was sold at auction in Dublin in February 1864.(12)   Byrne was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).

William Meagher, parish priest of Rathmines Church, gives the following eulogy of Byrne: 'Of this gifted man whose talents and disinterested care have laid us under such obligations, of him who designed the portico of St Paul's and erected the majestic shrine of St Audoen's and the solemn cathedral-like pile of St James and the bold and beauteous dome of our Lady of Refuge, of the accomplished and good and generous Patrick Byrne how truly may it not be said that he regarded the beauties of classical and mediaeval art with equal reverence, studied their several excellencies with equal assiduity & wrought upon the principles of both with equally supereminent success.'(13)

Byrne's pupils and assistants included PATRICK J. MURPHY. PATRICK J. MURPHY.

RIAI: council member, 1842-1843, 1846-1854; fellow by 1847; vice-president 1855-1864.(14)
Society of Irish Artists: member, 1845-1849.(15)
Aged and Infirm Carpenters' Asylum: vice-patron 1842-1847.(16) RHA: academician, 1860.(17)

Addresses:(18) 24 Mabbot Street, 1815-1820; 8 Mabbot Street, 1821-1835 ('& Son' from 1833); 10 Mabbot Street, 1836-1853 ('& Son' 1836-1841); 27 Talbot Street 1854-1864; 27 Talbot Street & 42 Gardiner Street Lower, 1860; 41 Gardiner Street Lower 1861-1864.
Home: 3 Waltham Terrace, Blackrock, 1855.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.

References
Byrne is the subject of an entry by Helen Andrews in Dictionary of Irish Biography, ed. by James McGuire and James Quinn, 9 vols. (Cambridge University Press, 2009), II, 222-223.  The centenary of Burke's death was marked by Ptrick Raftery in a paper delivered to the Old Dublin Society in 1964, which was published in BIGS 7, nos. 2-4 (Apr-Dec 1964), 47-67, and IAA Green Book (1966), 6-25.  Byrne's career as a designer of churches is described in Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009).


(1) Obituary editorial in DB 6, 20 Jan 1864, 9;  the baptism of a Patrick Byrne, son of John Byrne, on 6 Apr 1783 is recorded in the registers of the church of St Nicholas (RC), Dublin (http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords ).
(2) Royal Dublin Society Proceedings.
(3) The views of the Bank of Ireland and the Custom House appear to have been re-exhibited by Byrne at the RHA in 1861 (nos. 564,571); these drawings and a view of the interior of the Royal Exchange drawn in 1834 and also exhibited by Byrne in 1861 (no. 568), were sold with the effects of his grandson, Dr. William H. Byrne of Baggot St, in 1913. The Custom House view, now (1995) in the collection of the OPW and displayed in the the Custom House Conference Room, was acquired by R.M. Butler; the other two were bought by the National Gallery of Ireland (nos. 2688, 2689).
(4) Rosalind M. Elmes, Catalogue of Irish Topographical prints and original drawings (1975), nos. 974, 2065.
(5) BIGS 15, no. 1 (Jan-Mar 1972), 6,26; see also A Vision of the City: Dublin and the Wide Streets Commissioners (Dublin, 1991).
(6) B 8, 31 Aug, 1850, 416, and DB 8, 15 Aug 1866, 209.
(7) From Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's Directories.
(8) See note 1, above.
(9) DB 6, 1 Dec 1864, 240.
(10) Glasnevin cemetery records, Plot no. XA 34 Garden.
(11) See notes 1 and 10, above.
(12) Freeman's Journal, 15 Feb 1864.  A catalogue of the library is in the Royal Irish Academy, MR/14/G (published by Grimes, op. cit., above, Appendix 2, 134-143).
(13) Quoted from text of volume of engraved designs for church, privately printed by Meagher in 1855, by M. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, Vol. 2, 95.
(14) From Pettigrew & Oulton & Thom's Directories.
(15) See note 13m, above.
(16) See note 13, above..
(17) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 623.
(18) From Wilson's, Thom's & Post Office directories.

46 work entries listed in chronological order for BYRNE, PATRICK


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, GEORGE'S STREET LOWER, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1819-1844
Nature: PB architect to church at time of dedication in 1844
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2, quoting Irish Catholic Directory

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARL STREET (& O'CONNELL STREET), HOUSE
Date: 1824
Nature: Proposed house on corner.
Refs: Elevation in Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, 304

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, HOUSES
Date: 1825
Nature: Designs for houses.
Refs: Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, 49, 50, and Minutes, Vol. 36, 30 Sep 1825

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KEVIN STREET UPPER, NO. 040 (ST PATRICK'S DEANERY HOUSE)
Date: 1825ca
Nature: Gate piers and railings to enclose deanery and police barracks
Refs: Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, 150

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KEVIN STREET UPPER, NO. 041 (POLICE BARRACKS)
Date: 1825ca
Nature: Gate piers and railings to enclose deanery and police barracks
Refs: Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, 150

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY
Date: 1831-1860
Nature: PB architect to cemetery. Designed entrance lodge and gates, temple, chapel, Finglas Road gate, 1845, O'Connell Circle, &c.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Jan 1859; 2, 1 Aug 1860, 317; Patrick Raftery, 'The last of the traditionalists: Patrick Byrne 1783-1864', AAI Green Book, 1965, 11 (illus. p.10); Carmel Connell, Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin, 1832-1900 (Maynooth Studies in Local History, No. 58, Four Courts Press. Dublin, 2004, 41-48; 5;

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN (N SIDE), HOUSES
Date: 1832
Nature: By Patrick Byrne & Son
Refs: Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, 453

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF ROAD, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (RC)
Date: 1835-1838
Nature: New church in Perpendicular style. FS laid 16 Jun 1835; opened 1838. Dedicated 29 Jun 1842; 'built after a design by P. Byrne and Son, on a site…presented by Mr Vernon...M. Carey, Esq., bequeathed £1000 towards its erection. It is a spacious and elegant structure, in the later style of English architecture, 152 feet in length and 63 feet 6 inches in breadth, and forms a striking ornament to the place.' (Lewis)
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 376; anonymous typescript leaflet on church in IAA, RP.D.71.10;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 87(illus.),91-94(illus.),165.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ARRAN QUAY, ST PAUL'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1835-1844;1851
Nature: New Greel Ionic church, 1835-1844. FS laid 17 Mar 1835.  Altar and tabernacle, 1851
Refs: Undated plan for portico in Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, 'not identified' bundle; Clonliffe College Archive MS. p1/2; B 9, 21 Jun 1851, 393; B 16, 8 May 1858, 321; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, II, 26;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 52-63(illus.),164(plan); Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),  242, Pl.243.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GOLDENBRIDGE, CEMETERY
Date: 1835p
Nature: Mortuary chapel (above crypt built in 1835).
Refs: Information from David Griffin, 2010.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PEMBROKE STREET LOWER, HOUSES
Date: 1836
Nature: Proposal for (or survey of?) cottages.
Refs: Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Maps, 458

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DEAN STREET, HOUSES
Date: 1836;1840
Nature: PB paid for elevations, 1836
Refs: Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Minutes, 16 Jun 1836; signed & dated elevation in WSC/MAPS/472

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, GRANGE ROAD, LORETO ABBEY
Date: 1839
Nature: In charge of execution of A.W.N. Pugin's design for chapel.
Refs: Phoebe Stanton, Pugin (1971), 57;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009),88(illus.),89-91.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CUMBERLAND STREET SOUTH, SCHOOL
Date: 1840s
Nature: 'In the mid 1840s, following the closure of the Christian Brothers' school in Hanover Street in 1844, a boys' school was built across the rear of St Andrew's, possibly to designs by Patrick Byrne.'  11 bay, 2 storey over basement building.  Tooled calp basement. Red brick above.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 453.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HIGH STREET, ST AUDOEN'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1841-1852
Nature: New church for Very Rev. James Monks.  FS laid 2 Jul 1841. Dedicated 13 Sep 1846. Interior decoration, 1850-52, by Mr Buckley, plasterer.
Refs: B 8, 31 Aug 1850, 416; 10, 23 Oct 1852, 677; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, II, 178;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 63-74(illus.),167(plan);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 345-7, Pl.66.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, TEMPLE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (RC)
Date: 1842-1845
Nature: Designed (following plan by A.W.N. Pugin published in Dublin Review) and supervised by PB. FS laid 24 Jun 1842; dedicated 14 Sep 1845. For Dr John Ennis, PP.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; Freeman's Journal, 11,15 Sep 1845; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, I, 115; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 37(illus.); Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 83(illus.), 89,91-94,168(plan).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JAMES'S STREET, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (RC)
Date: 1844-1854;1859-1
Nature: FS laid by Daniel O'Connell 1844; dedicated 23 Aug 1852; work on interior 1859-1861
Refs: B 8, 7 Sep 1850, 424; 10, 4 Sep 1852, 570; 16, 8 May 1858, 321; 17, 24 Sep 1859, 633; DB 1, 1 Apr,1 Oct 1859, 41,133; DB 3, 1 Sep 1861, 620; Catholic Registry (1853), 336; M. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, II, 233;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 84(illus.),94-97,169(plan);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 629-630, Pl.67.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BALLYMUN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST PAPPIN (RC)
Date: 1846-1848
Nature: New church for Rev. Cornelius Rooney on land leased from Sir Compton Domvile. Costs met by James Coughlan, pub owner, of Santry.
Refs: Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009),90(illus.),99,171(plan).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FAIRVIEW STRAND, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE VISITATION (RC)
Date: 1847-1855
Nature: New church.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; B 8, 10 Aug 1850, 375;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 93(illus.),98-99,170(plan).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 008 (HIBERNIAN UNITED SERVICE CLUB)
Date: 1848
Nature: Plans for new steps to same.
Refs: Dublin City Archives, Wide Streets Commissioners Minutes, 23 Feb 1848;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 535.

Building: CO. DOWN, ROSTREVOR, CHURCH OF ST MARY STAR OF THE SEA (RC)
Date: 1848-1854
Nature: New church on Greek cross plan. Original design by Thomas Duff; work carried out after his death by PB. Church consecrated 15 Oct 1854. (Spire added 1859.)
Refs: B 12, 7 Oct,18 Nov 1854, 526,594; E. Campbell, Ecclesiastical Buildings in the Diocese of Dromore (1940), 12

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIR JOHN ROGERSON'S QUAY, NO. 041-44 (ALLIANCE & CONSUMERS' GAS CO.)
Date: 1850
Nature: Stores & retort house.
Refs: B 8, 7 Sep 1850, 424

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHMINES ROAD LOWER, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF REFUGE (RC)
Date: 1850-1856
Nature: New classical church replacing (and constructed around) Gothic church built 1824-30.  For Father William Meagher. FS laid by Archbishop Murray, 18 Aug 1850. Masonry: John Lynch, Mount Pleasant Ave (Kimmage and Donnybrook stone with Ballyknocken granite). Roof & dome: William Hughes, Talbot St. Plasterwork: Hogan & Conolly, Great Brunswick St. Dedicated 19 Jun 1856.
Refs: William Meagher, Five engravings descriptive of the new church of Our Immaculate Lady of Refuge (Dublin, 1855);  B 8, 30 Nov 1850, 568; 10, 31 Jan 1852, 76; 16, 8 May 1858, 321; IB 25, 1 Oct 1883, 311, refers to volume of engraved designs, published by Rev. W. Meagher at his own expense, 1855; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, II, 85-90;  History of Rathmines Parish, http://www.rathminesparish.ie/about-us/parish-history (last visited, Feb 2013);  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 106-114(illus.).,173-175(plans).

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, DRANGAN, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1850-53
Nature: New Gothic church with transepts, for Very Rev. Edward O'Shaughnessy.  FS laid 6 May 1850.  Finished, except for interior, by Mar 1853. Dedicated 29 May 1853.
Refs: B 11, 12 Mar 1853, 168 (this may also be the church 'at Mullinahone' - referred to as 'now erecting' in B VIII, 10 Aug 1850, 375);   Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 96(illus.),100-101(illus.),172(plan).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, O'CONNELL MEMORIAL
Date: 1851-1854
Nature: FS laid Sept 1854.
Refs: B 9, 27 Sep,6 Dec 1851, 610,775; 12, 7 Oct 1854, 526; 13, 2 Jun, 15 Sep 1855, 261,444

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, CHURCH OF SS PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1852
Nature: Plans for improvements including groined ceiling and decoration (not carried out)
Refs: B 10, 13 Nov 1852, 720; J. Walsh, Church of SS Peter and Paul, Balbriggan (Dublin, 1992), 13-18

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERCHANT'S QUAY, ADAM & EVE'S CHURCH (RC, FRANCISCAN)
Date: 1852;1862
Nature: Ionic portico; proposed campanile
Refs: B 10, 20 Nov 1852, 738; DB 4, 15 Jul 1862, 175; RHA 1862, no. 491;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 344.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALLYBRACK, CHURCH OF SS. ALPHONSUS & COLUMBA (RC)
Date: 1854
Nature: New church in Decorated Gothic style.  Dedicated and opened 1854
Refs: B 12, 7 Oct 1854, 526;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 85(illus.),101-2.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, FRANCISCAN COLLEGE
Date: 1856
Nature: PB's plan approved
Refs: Thomas Lacy, Sights and scenes in our fatherland (1863), ? (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RICHMOND STREET NORTH, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS' SCHOOL
Date: 1856
Nature: Chapel, completed 1856, tentatively attr. to PB by Casey and more confidently by Grimes..  Craftsmen: Dan Doran, foreman mason;  C.W. Giblan, stuccador; John D'Arcy, scagliola. Stained glass: Casey Bros.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 139;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009),114-121(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MALAHIDE, CHURCH OF ST SYLVESTER (RC)
Date: 1856-1857
Nature: 'Mr Byrne' consulted re ceiling and paid £5 for plans
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p.23/3, Malahide Accounts.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, SCHOOL STREET, CHURCH OF SS. JOHN & BRIDGET (RC, FRANCISCAN)
Date: 1856;1860-63
Nature: Restoration, bell tower, high altar. Contractor for bell tower: Patrick O'Connor. High altar (?and two others) executed by Mr Manderson of Dublin to designs by PB..
Refs: B 14, 8 Nov 1856, 616; DB 2, 1 Jan 1860, 185; 4, 15 Apr 1863, 103;  Freeman's Journal, 7 Jan 1860;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009),120(illus.),121.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PEARSE STREET, QUEEN'S ROYAL THEATRE
Date: 1858
Nature: Remodelling & enlargement (for John Charles Joseph?)
Refs: B 16, 30 Jan 1858, 73

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT ARGUS, PASSIONIST MONASTERY
Date: 1858-1859
Nature: PB to supervise erection of plans 'made in Rome'. Contractor: Hugh Kelly. (But commission taken over by J.J. McCarthy.) Opened Sep 1863.
Refs: B 16, 11 Dec 1858, 836; 17, 21 May 1859, 344; DB 1, 1 Jan,1 Mar,1 Jun 1859, 9,33,71; 5, 1 Sep 1863, 143;

Building: CO. WICKLOW, ENNISKERRY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1858-1860
Nature: New church for Rev. Thomas O'Dwyer on site given by Lord Powerscourt.. Cost £10,000. FS laid 3 Apr 1858. Opened, 18 Jun 1860, but spire still to be completed. Contractor: W.H. Beardwood?
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS P1/2, which states that architect was 'Beardwood' (this may mean that Beardwood was the contractor);  B 16, 27 Mar,10 Apr 1858, 214,250;  Lord Walter Fitzgerald, A Hundred years of Bray and its neighbourhood, 1770-1870 (Dublin, 1907), 69;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 86(illus.),86(illus.),102,,177(plan).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, ENNISKERRY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1858-1860
Nature: New church for Rev. Thomas O'Dwyer on site given by Lord Powerscourt.. Cost £10,000. FS laid 3 Apr 1858. Opened, 18 Jun 1860, but spire still to be completed. Contractor: W.H. Beardwood?
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS P1/2, which states that architect was 'Beardwood' (this may mean that Beardwood was the contractor);  B 16, 27 Mar,10 Apr 1858, 214,250;  Lord Walter Fitzgerald, A Hundred years of Bray and its neighbourhood, 1770-1870 (Dublin, 1907), 69;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 86(illus.),86(illus.),102,,177(plan).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, ARKLOW, CHURCH OF SS MARY & PETER (RC)
Date: 1859-1861
Nature: New church built round and replacing church of 1803.. For Very Rev. Canon Redmond.  FS laid 29 Sep 1858. Dedicated 18 Aug 1861.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archives, MS p/1/2; DB 1, 1 Mar 1859, 34; 3, 1 Jun,1 Sep 1861, 530,620; B 17, 5 Mar 1859, 174; 19, 31 Aug 1861, 599;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009),121-125(illus.),179(plan).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH ROAD (RAHENY), CHURCH OF ST ASSAM (RC)
Date: 1859-1864
Nature: New church on ground presented by Patrick Moore.  Finished by Hugh Byrne.
Refs: B 17, 17 Sep 1859, 615; DB 2, 1 Jun 1860, 282; 6, 15 Oct 1864, 213;  Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 92(ills.),93(illus.),99-100,178(plan).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STILLORGAN ROAD (DONNYBROOK), CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: PB prepares proposals for; chosen as architect for, but died
Refs: IB 2, 1 Sep 1860, 330; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, I, 63

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTLAND ROW, ST ANDREW'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: Repairs, alterations to ceilings & doors; tabernacle
Refs: William Mayler, Addres to the Catholic Inhabitants of St Andrew's, Dublin (1859); DB 2, 1 Jan 1860, 185

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHGAR ROAD, CHURCH OF THE THREE PATRONS (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: New church, for Father William Meagher. FS laid 18 Mar 1860.
Refs: Brendan Grimes, Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009), 124(illus.),126(illus.),127-129(illus.),180(plan).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, ENNISKERRY, PRESBYTERY
Date: 1861
Nature: New presbytery. FS laid 25 Aug 1861.
Refs: DB 3, 1 Sep 1861, 620.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, CARRICKBRENNAN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1861
Nature: New church, for Father Sheridan.  FS laid 29 Jun 1861.  (Demolished before completion and replaced, 1864-65, by church designed by Ashlin & Coleman.)
Refs: The Tablet, 6 Jul 1861.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RICHMOND STREET NORTH, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS' SCHOOL
Date: 1863
Nature: Additions.
Refs: DB 3, 1 Apr 1863, 63

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PEARSE STREET, TURF GAS CO.
Date: ?
Nature: Proposed design for entrance gates, offices and boundary wall.
Refs: Signed designs in IAA, Murray Collection, 92/46, nos. 707-708 (no. 708 kept in RIAI, 8 Merrion Sq) (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 214-215)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SANTRY COURT
Date: ?
Nature: Campanile (proposed?)
Refs: Coloured sketch in NLI, D.D. 1581

Author Title Date Details
Curran, Constantine P. 'Patrick Byrne: architect' 1944 Studies 33 (1944), 193-200.
Grimes, Brendan Majestic Shrines and Graceful Sanctuaries: the church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864
Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009
Raftery, Patrick 'The last of the traditionalists: Patrick Byrne l783-1864' 1964;1965 Paper delivered to the Old Dublin Society in 1964 published in BIGS 7, nos. 2-4 (Apr-Dec 1964), 47-67; IAA Green Book (1966), 6-25.