Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Land surveyor and valuer of estates, of Dublin, active from 1817 until 1857 or later. A Joseph Byrne was awarded a Dublin Society premium in 1806, but see also JOHN JOSEPH BYRNE JOHN JOSEPH BYRNE .

Byrne was one of the architects, surveyors and engineers who produced drawings, plans and maps to illustrate the rentals of properties for sale under the provisions of the Incumbered Estate Act of 1849. Lithographs from his drawings of Oldcourt, Douglas, Co. Cork (1852), 80 St Stephen's Green, Dublin (1856), Shanahoe House and Rockview House, Co. Leix (1856), Newlands House, Co. Dublin (1856), Rostellan Castle and Barnabow House, Co. Cork, Little Kilrush and Port of Limerick (1858) and Palmerstown House, Co. Dublin (1860) are reproduced or noted in Mary Cecilia Lyons, Illustrated Incumbered Estates Ireland, 1850-1905 (1993), 25,26,173,197,198,208. 

Byrne had died by April 1870, when his surveying instruments and household effects were sold at auction in Dublin.   His pupils and assistants included SPENCER HARTY.  SPENCER HARTY.

Addresses: 74 and/or 28 Camden Street Lower, 1817-1822; 3 Richmond Street, 1823-1824;(2) 39 St Stephen's Green, 1825-1828; 23 Mount Street Lower, 1829-1830; 84 Mount Street Lower, 1832 ->=1839; 10 Mount Street Lower, <=1841->=1852; 16 Mount Street Lower, <=1857- >=1863.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Wilson's, Post Office, Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories. For further references to Byrne see J.H. Andrews, Plantation Acres (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1985), 201,220,221,323,345,365,397,408,443.

(1)   Freeman's Journal, 26,27,28 Apr 1870.
(2) Byrne had probably moved to 39 St Stephen's Green by 1825, when Wilson lists a 'Byrne, - , surveyor' at that address, although continuing to list J.J. Byrne at 3 Richmond St.