AYLWARD, FRANCIS XAVIER
- Born: 1879 Died: 1922ca?
Civil engineer. Francis Xavier (Frank) Aylward, son of Francis Aylward and his wife Hannah (née Binfield) was born in Dublin on 9 June 1879.(1) By the early 1900s he had been appointed engineer to Carlow Rural District Council and Board of Guardians but tendered his resignation in 1905 because of 'insufficient salary and undue interference with his duties'.(2) He was probably the Aylward who was briefly in partnership with GEORGE TIGHE MOORE in Dublin circa 1901-02, practising as MOORE & amp; AYLWARD . By 1907 he was practising on his own account from an office in O'Connell Street, Dublin, but early in 1908 he wrote to the Irish Builder from an address in Limerick.(3). By the time of the 1911 census of Ireland, he had become an inspector for the Congested Districts Board in Co. Mayo, later transferring to Co. Donegal.(4) In 1919 he was appointed architect under the Local Government Board(5) and moved to Dublin. He appears to have died in about 1922. He had married his wife, Jessie, in 1901 and at the time of the 1911 census had four daughters and a son.
AAI: elected member, 1896; ceased membership, 1904.
RIAI: elected member, 1918;(6) ceased membership 1921 or 1922.
Addresses:(7) Work: 4 O'Connell Street Upper, Dublin, 1907 (in alphabetical list section but not in street directory).
Home: 81 Rathmines Road, Dublin, 1903; Claremorris, Co. Mayo, 1911; Horn View House, Falcarragh, Co. Donegal,1918;(8) 6 Churchill Terrace, Sandymount, Dublin, 1922.(9)
See WORKS; see also works of MOORE & amp; AYLWARD.
(2) IB 47, 11 Mar 1905, 177.
(3) IB 50, 22 Feb 1908, 114.
(4) IB 60, 22 Jun 1918, 314.
(5) IB 61, 31 May 1919, 269.
(6) RIAI Journal 1918-1919, 3; IB 61, 25 Jan 1919, 30.
(7) From Thom's directories and AAI membership lists unless otherwise stated.
(8) See note 3, above.
(9) By 1925 only Mrs Jessie Aylward was living at this address.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for AYLWARD, FRANCIS XAVIER
|Building:||CO. CARLOW, BAGENALSTOWN, WATER SUPPLY|
|Refs:||IB 47, 11 Mar 1905, 177|
|Building:||CO. CARLOW, TULLOW, FEVER HOSPITAL|
|Nature:||Designs for Carlow Board of Guardians|
|Refs:||IB 50, 22 Feb 1908, 114|