Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Newry. John Brown was in practice in Newry by 1890. His last work to be recorded in the Irish Builder is of 1910. He had died by May 1917, when he is described as 'the late Mr. Brown, architect, Kilmorey Street, Newry' in a notice of the death of his eldest son, P.J. Brown.(1) He was possibly the father of JOHN LEONARD BROWNE.& JOHN LEONARD BROWNE.& #160;  He was a subscriber to George Lister Sutcliffe,ed., The Principles and Practice of Modern House-Construction (London, 1898).(2)

Address: Kilmorey Street, Newry, 1890;(3) 41 Kilmorey Street, Newry, 1900.(4)

See WORKS.



References



(1) IB 59, 12 May 1917, 222; this information seems to be at least partially incorrect. See www.cwgc.org.
(2) MS list of subscribers from Belfast and other towns in the northern counties (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2009/066).
(3) IB 32, 15 Jun 1890, 147.
(4) IB 42, 1,15 Aug 1900, 444,451.


11 work entries listed in chronological order for BROWN, JOHN [2]


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, MARCUS SQUARE (& MARCUS STREET), IMPERIAL HOTEL
Date: 1887-1888
Nature: Renovation just completed (Feb 1888). New 4-storey building looking into Marcus St, plastered with Portland cement, with 'bold and attractive cornice', mansard roof. Ground floor of Marcus Square frontage lowered, two bay windows constructed and open porch with columns and iron railing above. Contractor: Alex Whelan.
Refs: IB 30, 15 Feb 1888, 53-54

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, HILL STREET, PROVINCIAL BANK
Date: 1890
Nature: Structural alterations in contemplation. Plans show 'handsome frontage'.
Refs: IB 32, 15 Jun 1890, 147

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, MARCUS SQ?, PREMISES
Date: 1890
Nature: 'Ornate building 'which Mr Patrick Murphy is so spiritedly constructing' beside his own residence, opposite Belfast Bank. Contractor: Wheelan.
Refs: IB 32, 15 Jun 1890, 147

Building: CO. ARMAGH, TULLYALLEN (MARKETHILL), MANSE
Date: 1892
Nature: To be built. (Possibly Tullyallen, Co. Louth).
Refs: Architect 47, 6 May 1892, suppl. p.14 (which says Tullyallen, Co. Louth, but cf. Presbyterian Church)

Building: CO. DOWN, WARRENPOINT, PETER STREET, SCHOOLS
Date: 1892
Nature: New schools, for Sisters of Mercy; by 'E.J. Brown', Newry
Refs: IB 34, 15 Jun 1892, 139

Building: CO. DOWN, ROSTREVOR, SHOP
Date: 1897
Nature: Designs shop fittings, for Mrs C. Crawford.
Refs: Plan and elevation of shop fittings, 17 Feb 1897, in PRONI, D1012/3/4 (see PRONI e-catalogue).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, TULLYALLEN (MARKETHILL), PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1900
Nature: Renovation
Refs: IB 42, 15 Jul,1,15 Aug 1900, 423,444,451; B 78, 26 May 1900, 530; 59, 14 Jul 1900, 44; Architect 64, 6 Jul 1800, suppl. p.11

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, UNION WORKHOUSE
Date: 1901
Nature: Rebuilding
Refs: IB 43, 23 May,13 Aug,10 Oct,7 Nov 1901, 735,845,930; B 81, 16 Nov 1901, 449 (advertisement for tender)

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, NEEDHAM PLACE, FORESTERS' HALL
Date: 1905
Nature: To be built.
Refs: IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 910

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, HILL STREET, PREMISES
Date: 1909
Nature: Alterations & improvements to Mrs Boden's premises.
Refs: IB 51, 24 Jul 1909, 470

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, HOUSE
Date: 1910
Nature: New villa.
Refs: IB 52, 2 Apr 1910, 217