Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer to the Commissioners of Irish Lights from ? until 1878.




1 work entries listed in chronological order for MORANT. JOHN H.


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. GALWAY, ARAN ISLANDS, STRAW ISLAND, LIGHTHOUSE
Date: 1873-78p
Nature: New lighthouse. Survey made 27 Jul 1870. Tenders invited 1873. Work started Jun 1874. Completed by William Douglass in or after 1878. Cast iron from Phoenix Iron Works, Dublin.
Refs: IB 14, 1 Feb 1873, advertisement; John S. Sloane, 'A History of the lighthouses of Ireland', IB 22, 1 Sep,1 Nov 1880, 247,305; Bill Long, Bright Light, White Water (1993), 146;  Life of William Douglass, M.Inst.C.E. formerly engineer-in-chief to the Commissioners of Irish Lights by the author of the 'Life of Sir James Nicholas Douglass [Thomas Williams]' (Privately published, 1923), online version at http://pharology.eu/resources/Douglass.pdf.