Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Bolognese artist, who painted the roundels and medallions of classical gods and goddesses in the Throne Room of Dublin Castle.   The six paintings, orignally destined for an unknown location in Italy, were purchased in 1839 through the agency of a member of the Gernon family, who were well-known as art auctioneers and picture restorers in Dublin from the 1820s until the 1850s.(1)




References



(1) British picture restorers, 1630-1950, http://www.npg.org.uk/research/programmes/directory-of-british-picture-restorers/british-picture-restorers-1630-1950-g.php (last visited Jan 2013), citing Michael Wynne, 'Six Gaetano Gandolfis in Dublin Castle', Burlington Magazine 141 (Jun 1999), 352. The paintings are reproduced in Róisín Kennedy, Dublin Castle Art (Dublin: Office of Public Works, 1999), 24-29.